PDA

View Full Version : Quake in Haiti

Mickey Richaud
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
And possible tsunamis.

Dale - Bruce - you OK?

GregW
01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow, I just saw on Google earth that one registered 7.0, a couple more in the 5 range.

DNK
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
How active is that area generally?

aerog
01-12-2010, 07:20 PM

If you google for sites that plot them you'll find quakes all over the place quite often down that way but they usually don't cause any damage on land.

Tinster
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Hi Don, We are fine here in PR. A different geologic zone than Haiti.

The Caribbean islands are very active with 7 or so active
volcanos and we get 30 to 60 quakes a month in the r=2 to 4 range. Two tectonic plates are sliding in the Puerto Rican trench. Haiti in on another plate.

<span style="color: #3333FF">The Puerto Rico Trench marks a boundary where two tectonic plates—the North American plate and the Caribbean plate—slide past each other, with the North American plate also subducting or sliding beneath the Caribbean plate.

Water depths of more than 8 km (5 mi) make the Puerto Rico Trench the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean. It is less deep near the Lesser Antilles, where the component of subduction is larger.

Many earthquakes and tsunamis resulting from the tectonic-plate motions have occurred in historical time in the northeastern Caribbean. Future such events will pose serious hazards to the growing population in this region, including approximately 4 million U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The hazards to these islands are mainly in the form of submarine earthquakes, landslides, and tsunamis.</span>

Basil
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Just read it was the worst earthquake there in 200 years.

aerog
01-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Worst, yup.

No disrespect to those suffering through it, but much of Haiti usually looks like a massive quake just hit - which makes it all the worse.

Basil
01-13-2010, 03:40 AM

Worst, yup.

No disrespect to those suffering through it, but much of Haiti usually looks like a massive quake just hit - which makes it all the worse.

Thanks for correcting my typo...danged self-correcting iPhone! (that's my story).

I'm going to post a sticky here with a link to the Red Cross donation page for anyone who wants to help.

Basil
01-13-2010, 04:06 AM
**Warning** Graphic images

Devastating (https://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/world/2010/01/12/earthquake-rocks-haiti)

bugimike
01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
I just came in to work this am, where we have 3/4 Haitians working. All have been personally affected. This is a real tragedy for the poorest nation in our hemisphere! The world-wide relief efforts underway are heartwarming! Many victims also from all over the world, from the UN Mission and many Missionary efforts! Our prayers are with them.

DrEntropy
01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
With submarine earthquakes COME Tsunamis!!

"Mountain high, valley low"....

Time to use that TUNNEL back to th' mainland?

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2010, 07:31 AM
With submarine earthquakes COME Tsunamis!!

Yep - that's why I asked about Dale and Bruce...

aerog
01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
The quake wasn't submarine, and it was closer to the bay on the western side of Hispanola: the chances of tsunami (the warnings have long since been canceled) on the east-side of Puerto Rico and near Venezuela are slim. Our citizens in Guantanamo Bay were probably most at risk, but the danger has diminished.

Basil
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I had heard the Tsunami threat was not very high in this case.

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
The quake had just happened when I made my post. I was concerned after watching a documentary on tsunamis - they can be more devastating than the actual quake!

The tsunami after the quake off the coast of Chile (1961?) traveled across the Pacific. If I recall, it even had a wraparound effect on one island, bouncing off itself and somehow working its way to the other side of the island.

aerog
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
The Chilean 'quake in 1960 was also the highest magnitude earthquake ever recorded. The Alaskan Tsunami in '64 was from the largest recorded in North America and caused damage on the pacific coast too. The 2004 Tsunami in Thailand was an estimated 9.1-9.3. All of those tsunamis caused distant problems because there was no attenuating land-masses to lessen the blow and were caused by massive earthquakes that were "just right" to cause the tsunami.

California just had a 6.5 off shore of Eureka/Ferndale and Haiti was a 7.0. Neither resulted in any significant tsunami effects, not to mention the 30 or so 2.5-3.0 submarine quakes around Puerto Rico in the last 7 days.

Point is, it has to be the right kind of quake, in the right spot, under the right conditions to be a risk. Thankfully that risk is relatively low.

PS: They just had a 5.3 aftershock in Haiti.

aeronca65t
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the sticky.

Our church has done ~mission trips~ (https://www.pcmorristown.org/DRtrip07.htm) to the Dominican Republic and there was talk of doing some more.
I would imagine there'll be talk about this next Sunday.

01-13-2010, 10:54 AM
The Chilean 'quake in 1960 was also the highest magnitude earthquake ever recorded. The Alaskan Tsunami in '64 was from the largest recorded in North America and caused damage on the pacific coast too. The 2004 Tsunami in Thailand was an estimated 9.1-9.3. All of those tsunamis caused distant problems because there was no attenuating land-masses to lessen the blow and were caused by massive earthquakes that were "just right" to cause the tsunami.

California just had a 6.5 off shore of Eureka/Ferndale and Haiti was a 7.0. Neither resulted in any significant tsunami effects, not to mention the 30 or so 2.5-3.0 submarine quakes around Puerto Rico in the last 7 days.

Point is, it has to be the right kind of quake, in the right spot, under the right conditions to be a risk. Thankfully that risk is relatively low.

PS: They just had a 5.3 aftershock in Haiti.

whole lotta shakin' goin' on!!!

Andrew Mace
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Our church has long had an affilation/mission with a church in Lascahobas, Haiti, and we currently have a "team" comprised of church members and local students there to install solar panels. Word has come in that they're ok and safe and that the effects of the quake in Lascahobas were relatively (and thankfully) minor.

01-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Props to mission folk workin' that part of th' world !!!! From what I know, Haiti is one scary place !!!

Brosky
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
An once again, the good people of the USA will be the first to be there with major help and support. This is a time that makes me very proud of my country and very upset with those who choose to constantly criticize us.

01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
An once again, the good people of the USA will be the first to be there with major help and support. This is a time that makes me very proud of my country and very upset with those who choose to constantly criticize us.

Yeah, but there's a whole lotta folks here that need help too and STILL haven't gotten it. We still have folks from Katrina that don't have houses yet. We need to help our own first. After all, WE paid all that money in to begin with.

DrEntropy
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Been that way for a long time, Paul. When th' ship hits th' sand anyplace on the planet, we respond. Military and NGOs. Unquestioningly, unselfishly.

Yet we're vilified.

Any more words an' I'll be chastized. :smirk:

AngliaGT
01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Doc,

Well said - I agree.

- Doug

Basil
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Been that way for a long time, Paul. When th' ship hits th' sand anyplace on the planet, we respond. Military and NGOs. Unquestioningly, unselfishly.

Yet we're vilified.

Ditto...

Bruce Bowker
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
And possible tsunamis.

Dale - Bruce - you OK?

If you mean me in Bonaire, nothing at all here. I really appreciate you asking though. I followed the news for s short time to make sure no Tsunami possibilities. At 500 mph or so we would not have had any warning.

Thanks again

Bruce

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Good to hear - thanks for checking in, Bruce.

01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
While all of the above is true, it looks like the Chinese are putting together quite a relief effort for this one too!!

Of course they are, THEY GOT ALL OUR MONEY !!!! :cryin:

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Sure would be a shame to lock this thread...

C'mon, people!

14dna
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
If anyone has a site for up to date info I would appreciate it.
A girl from my town is running an orphanage in the capital and news is very hard to come by.
She is alive and likely helping her "children".
Just would be good for her family to know more.

Thanks Guys!

Dave :grouphug:

01-13-2010, 07:00 PM
MAN !!!!! I didn't realize it was as bad as it is !!! Watching the news right now, HOLY COW !!! When y'all said quake, I though "Yeah, whatever, that stuff happens all the time." I didn't realize the WHOLE place was flattened. I can't EVEN begin to imagine the shock and horror!!!!

14dna, glad to hear that. Estimated 45K of Americans over there, most to help before this. One thing for sure, it's gonna be a long, ugly road.

I'll take Katrina over a quake ANYTIME !!!

I can't think of a worse place for it to happen. They didn't have anything there to work with before. I can't imagine how they are gonna get people out with such limited resources, much less take care of them and rebuild.

I can't imagine trying to dig my family out from under a 5 story building. Geezum PETES !!!!

Dale posted info on how to help in another thread.

DrEntropy
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Yet we're vilified.

Ditto...

Do you use a mirror fer that? :devilgrin:

judow
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Haiti is indeed one of the poorest counties in the world. When hubby and I lived in Sarasatoa, he did missionary flights to Haiti for Agape Flights and as a result I spent time in Haiti. My reaction to my stays were until you have actually seen and smelled poverty, none of us know what it is really like. I was embarassed by my 'wealth.' For the most part we brought hospital supplies to the hospital in Cap Haitian and Port au Prince. I can say with certainity that no human should have to live like the average Haitian and now this. I pray the Haitian people will persevere and just maybe after so many actually smell and taste the poverty, they will be forced into action to help. We made a donation directly to Agape Flights out of Venice Florida and simply said for them to use it the best way they thought. Agape flies into Haiti on a weekly schedule in their small Cessna doing whatever they can to help the missionaries. Agape is also asking for anyone with a plane to contact them. Sorry for the downer folks but this event has brought back a flood of memories for me. My prayers and some of my 'wealth' is with them.

Basil
01-13-2010, 09:44 PM
While all of the above is true, it looks like the Chinese are putting together quite a relief effort for this one too!!

Of course they are, THEY GOT ALL OUR MONEY !!!! :cryin:

Keep this thread focused on the victims in Haiti - please knock off the negative/controversial/political comments...

01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
it was a joke Basil and like I stated earlier, I didn't realize it was that bad.

AngliaGT
01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
We just had a 6.5 quake here in Humboldt County
on Saturday.Now they're asking for Federal assistance.
When you read/see what's going on in Haiti,it makes us
look kind of greedy.At least most of us can buy insur-
ance for this kind of thing.
I'm really torn on this.

- Doug