PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR 3A Steering Box Question

Tinkerman
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
When I put my steering box together some time back I filled it with Penrite Steering Box fluid. Over the next month it all leaked out. I hadn't even used it. I discovered today why that had happened. When I put it together I got the front cover gasket mixed in with the adjusting front cover shims so that there was, in effect, no gasket. I need a new gasket, so I figured I'd go to the local auto parts store and pick up the thinnest gasket material they have. I/64" is the thinnest they carry. Much thicker then the gasket that came off which is .005, about yhe thickness of two sheets of copy paper. Other than ordering from one of the big three does anyone have any ideas about what to use?
Or if anyone has an extra I would be happy to buy it from you. I'm at the point that I need an odd part here and there and hate to pay $8.45 shipping and handling for a $2.95 gasket.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tinkerman

M_Pied_Lourd
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Cornflake Box :smile:

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TR3driver
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
IMO that's not the problem, Dick. I'd be looking carefully for burrs or distortion that keeps the end plate from fitting snugly against the housing.

I used 'photo' printer paper to make mine. Don't recall the thickness I measured, but I just measured it and used that.

tdskip
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Cornflake Box :smile:

Regular or Touch of Honey?

Tinkerman
01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks Randall, I'll check the cover real closely.

MP and TD, thanks for the laughs I need that right about now!

Tinkerman

karls59tr
01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
I've heard that if a TR3 steering box Isn't leaking....there's no oil in it! :-)

prb51
01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Mines still leaking...in the corner where I put it when I put the R&P in place.

tinman58
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey Dick I just took the front apron and steering box-coloum out on my TR3 in preperation for my new rack and pinion set up. I think that will solve my oil leak. The R&P will be delivered tomorrow. (:

M_Pied_Lourd
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey Dan,

Interested to hear about your install once you get your rack. Mine is in place but I haven't torqued it down yet as I am still working on the rack centering issue. I moved onto other things and don't need to worry about it at the moment.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Tinkerman
01-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Envy you Dan, there are times like these that I wish I were doing a resto-mod rather than a "way it came off the dealer floor" restoration. When I see pictures of some of the resto-mods on this forum I really am impressed. Have fun with your installation!

Tinkerman

tinman58
01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Just recived the fed ex from the little british car co. and it is missing a track rod end, I just called Jeff at LBC and he will be sending one out. But HOW LONG? I wanted to be driving on Sunday! Oh well I hope it rains.

Twosheds
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
When I put my steering box together some time back I filled it with Penrite Steering Box fluid. Over the next month it all leaked out. I hadn't even used it.

I thought of something in the middle of the night. Penrite shouldn't leak that quickly from under the end plate even with no gasket.

Did you install the stator tube or something in the hole for it in the end plate so the Penrite wouldn't leak through the hole for the stator tube?

Tinkerman
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Well John, you hit it spot on. I did not plug up the stator tube hole :frown:. Duhhhh

Tinkerman the dumb!

Twosheds
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Dick, I have experimented with this myself, that's what made me think of it!

Only I used gear oil. Messy.

TR4nut
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Just recived the fed ex from the little british car co. and it is missing a track rod end, I just called Jeff at LBC and he will be sending one out. But HOW LONG? I wanted to be driving on Sunday! Oh well I hope it rains.

Dan-

You should compare notes with Pied- something tells me his earlier problem is related to yours!
Moss R&P.. (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/632468/Searchpage/1/Main/64073/Words/pinion/Search/true/Early_Xmas_Present#Post632468)

tinman58
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought the same thing, sounded familiar. Jeff from LBC is sending a tie rod out from Moss. I hope that it will be here saturday. Odd tho that two kits are missing the same part!!

TR4nut
01-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I thought the same thing, sounded familiar. Jeff from LBC is sending a tie rod out from Moss. I hope that it will be here saturday. Odd tho that two kits are missing the same part!!

Probably didn't happen this way, but I can image someone in a wharehouse grabbing a link from one kit to replace a missing link in another kit. And then that kit gets sold on to the next guy and the circle of life continues!

M_Pied_Lourd
01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Guys,

Haven't recieved my missing link as of yet....not that I really need it. I think what might have happended is that someone at Moss is assuming that the box contains two end links....it is big enough to get two in there. Dan, if Jeff has mine in, take mine and hopefully that will get you back on the road. I can wait for mine. Let me know if you want me to give Jeff a call.

Cheer,
M. Pied Lourd

tinman58
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks,
But Jeff is sending a tie rod directly from Moss. about 350 miles from here. I hope to see it Saturday or Monday. Going out to the garage now to start on the rest of the install.

M_Pied_Lourd
01-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Dan, if you could take some pics when you are done, it would be appreciated. Let me know how you decided to center the rack. The directions say to look for marks on the rack, but there were none on mine.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

tinman58
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I will take pictures, I have the rack mounted and am in the process of swapping the steering links left to right right to left, It is kind of confusing the spacers supplied don't seam to fit just right. But my beautiful wife want's to go out and look for a new dining room set. So off we go. Gotta give a little to take alot!

MDCanaday
01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
IMHO the best way to make a 3 steering box hold grease is to (after new seals etc)pack the sector shaft well with the heaviest wheel bearing grease you can find.Just about 3 tbs, the more liquid lube will float on top and likely never dissolve the stuff you pack in.......its never failed me yet.
MD(mad dog)

TR3driver
01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Good grief! It's no wonder everyone thinks the only solution is R&P. Am I the only one that thinks oil seals should actually hold oil?

TS39781LO had been sitting for several years by the time I pulled the stator tube out (to use in TS13571L); and there was still enough full synthetic oil in the box to make a puddle on the driveway. Sorry I didn't take a photo before I cleaned it up, but I didn't want to track it around.

However, I will admit that TS13571L is leaking now ... guess I should have rebuilt the box while it was out. Too big a rush to get ready for TRfest, I guess.

MDCanaday
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Thinking that seals will hold oil.....on a LBC??? Pass me a pint of what your having!!!!Its just making sure,since taking out this little doll is not high on the fun list......
MD(mad dog)

Banjo
01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I've driven several TR3s. Some set up correctly, some in desperate need of repair. When that steering box is on the money, a TR3 has nice light steering. When things get foul, the wheel gets harder and harder to turn. It astounds me what some owners considered acceptable, even normal, on thier cars, and how amazed they were when they got the chance to drive one with a good steering box. Not that I look down on anybody for an R&P swap. It's still and upgrade from a steering box, even a good one. I guess I just prefer the old box because it's one of the special charecteristics of an early TR. That stationary control head is just neat.
So how many of you guys with R&P swaps want to send me your old steering boxes? I'll take 'em(I'll pay shipping)

TR3driver
01-15-2010, 10:57 PM
When that steering box is on the money, a TR3 has nice light steering.
:thankyousign: :bow:

Tinkerman
01-16-2010, 08:36 AM
You steering box guys are making me feel real good because I've rebuilt mine and at the price of R&P I couldn't make the swap now anyway. Besides that, this car is set up the way I would have bought it in 1960. My preference. Call it nostalgia I suppose, but that the way I am. Course at my age most everything is nostalgic, heh.
The second part of the column goes in today and then some test turns with the steering wheel, YEA!

Cheers, Tinkerman

Twosheds
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm like Bill Dentinger, "The more of those other parts you install, the less TR3 you have."

My TR3 steering unit is nice and light. I forget whether Bajo drove it or not. The unit does leak, though. How unreliable these British cars are! I rebuilt that unit only 17 years ago and it leaks!

Tinkerman
01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
[quote= I rebuilt that unit only 17 years ago and it leaks! [/quote]

Oh the shame of it! Course if it doesn't mark its territory its not a Triumph. Or so I'm told.

Banjo
01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Never did get behind the wheel of your TR3 John. Not that I wasen't asked. I still think about that ride.. what a fun day. The only problem I had that day was trying to go see everything... It coulden't be done!

tinman58
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
The missing tie rod showed up at my front door today!!! Now I have something to do tonight!