PDA

View Full Version : V8 Aint it great!

James in Michigan
09-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Any experiences with installing a 5.0 or 350 Chevy in TR7's ? Weight balance looks to be a major problem ,even if you put it next to the firewall; and braking might be a concern too.

Think a 4.3 and a 5 speed from a chevy might do a very good job.
I am not working on this poor tired little motor again- except to remove it!

Comments are very welcome-

StagByTriumph
09-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi JamesinMichigan.
Ever hear of a TR8? Of course a 350 cid will be quite a bit heavier than a Rover V8 in the TR8 by about 150 pounds A 350 weighs about the same as a Triumph Stag V8. I think that is about 458 pounds for both.
TR8's have a different subframe to carry the extra load, different suspension and brakes. You can get the heavier subframe from TSI in Ohio.

It has been done, I have seen a few TR7's with US iron V8's in them of all types. It does get quite tight in there.

Cheers!!

mailbox
09-27-2004, 09:42 PM
James,
Several people here have used Chevy V8's in their TR7. I am trying to put in a 5.0 Ford and 5 speed in one myself. I think it will fit quite well, just a few things that need "adjusting". The Rover engine would be alot easier, but I just HAVE to do everything the hard way (that what my wife always says). Anyway, Good luck!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tomgt6
09-28-2004, 12:12 AM
What about putting the buick v6 that alot of people put in the gt6.

billspit
09-28-2004, 11:49 AM
I would think a 350 SBC in a TR-7 would be a turd. A very fast turd but a turd no less. I second a look at a V-6. There are converstion kits for V-6s and they can produce more power than the Rover V-8. However, I would think the ROver V-8 may be getting a little cheaper now that they are no longer in production and will start appearing in Wrecking yards.

TR3cubka
09-28-2004, 12:38 PM
ive been telling people... get a grand national turbo V6 motor. Its a SBC 350, with 2 cylinders taken off, and a turbo slapped on (in essence) Those puppies are great little motors IMHO. If they can get a buick to run 12 second quarter miles near stock, imagine what they will do in an LBC!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

vagt6
09-28-2004, 02:57 PM
The possibilities for V/8s in a TR7 are endless, but I think the Rover 3500 V/8, aka the Buick 215, is hard to beat. Tons of folks have dropped it into TR7s.

It weighs less than the TR 2500 six and offers 200 HP with relatively minor mods. Plus, there are enough of them around to make parts fairly available, too.

Finally, it's basically "correct" for the car, since it's the engine used in the TR8.

I wouldn't think twice about the 3500 V/8 if I wanted V/8 power in any Triumph!

frankenstang57
09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifCheck this site out, https://britishv8.org/swaps/examples.htm#spitfire I'm planning a sbc swap for my Spitfire in the very near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

James in Michigan
09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey Thanks for the input guys- it's SO tempting to put in a US V8 and put on numerouse sets of tires on the back- with a big smile on my face!
And no quick turns....

I do think it will be the 4.3 , although one of those grand nationals sound like a decent proposition if I can figure out how to connect all those controls properly.

James

Delmon
09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I have a 1980 TR7 with a Buick 3.8, (V6), Runs very good and easy to put in. Use a 4 barrell carb. a lot easier to hook up, and cheaper, than a turbo whicj are hard to find, I know, I looked. Automatic tranny makes it easy also.

jeff3113
09-29-2004, 12:42 AM
I finshed the basic installation of my SBC 350 and 700r4 tranny about 3 months ago. If I were to offer any recommendation it would be to get the entire setup from a Camaro or Firebird with injection. I pieced mine together for about 2 years before performing the conversion. I also changed out the diff to a BMW limited slip.
IMO the front end sticks better than the original since there is more weight upfront. The lighter front used to break loose on me in the mountains. Drop me a line and I'll fill you in.
Good Luck,
Jeff

TR7/8 TPI
09-29-2004, 11:57 AM
I put a 305 HO with 700r4 in my first TR7 while in high school. It was a bit nose heavy but in NO way was it a turd. The front end bottomed out on hard bumps but as soon as I replaced the front springs with rear springs from a Ford Aerostar van, the car's stance became correct and handling improved 10 fold.

You can't expect to add more weight and horsepower without addressing the suspension and brakes.

If you install a SBC, you have to do something with the brakes! Stock brakes+SBC+one really hard stop= total brake fade. The Volvo dual piston calipers and vented rotors should go up front and a disc conversion on the rear.

MDCanaday
10-01-2004, 01:11 AM
James, IT IS A US V8...Punch it out to 4 liters ,it will scream, and you will get all the good driving awards you can pay for!!! If you go chevy you will violate the KISS rule, and bad Ju Ju will happen....
MD(mad dog)

James in Michigan
10-02-2004, 07:13 AM
TR7/8 - Those Volvo Discs- which years/models did you use?
Any mods needed? Do they fit the 4 bolt OK?
How about the master cylinder , and finally do I need to add adjustable proportioning valve?

Thanks
James

James in Michigan
10-02-2004, 07:20 AM
MD - NOT THE BAD JUJU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There may be a shrunken head in my future if I continue down this path that offends the LBC gods!
I won't be able to wear last years helmet when I race!

Huhmm tough decision , more horsepower with US motor , or shrunken head (women dig that though) ... It has to be more Horsepower from US motor!!!!
After all , am already married, so don't have to worry about my appaerance anymore!

James

thegoodbeamer
10-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey guys
all you have to do is look at a Sunbeam Tiger.Front springs up grade and a panhard rod added at the rear.Also went to rack and pinion.There is a couple of Trs here with the
5.0 Ford.Very neat and seemingly more space than a tiger.

TR7/8 TPI
10-02-2004, 01:37 PM
James,

I have not done that particular brake upgrade. On my conversion, everything will be custom with Jag rear suspension and brakes and Porsche 944 Turbo struts and brakes up front.

Lanocha Racing (https://www.lanocharacing.com/tr7-tr8_parts.html) has a brake kit for the front but I'm not sure what the rotors are from.

As far as the Volvo brakes, I know the calipers from a mid 80's 240 work but not sure what rotors they use.

James in Michigan
10-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks TR7/8 , will check out the volvos , and Lanocha-
How is your car running?

James in Michigan
10-03-2004, 08:18 AM
TheGoodBeamer- hey thanks for the info- good to know you have already seen some of the ford v8's in tr's. According to the engine weight site, the 5.0's weigh almost 100#'s less than the chevy 350 . I realise the 350 has more cubes , but the 5.0 will provide plenty of juice.

One question though- what is a Panhard? Is that the link I have seen in the rear that crosses from one side of the rear axle housing and ties to the opposite side of the car on the frame?

Thanks- by the way, with three cars like the ones you have, how do you find time honey doo stuff?

thegoodbeamer
10-03-2004, 09:55 AM
James
When i was working I seemed to have more time then than now that I'm retired.I guess i just stole time.Now I have almost made it up.As to HONEYDO jobs I am the one who wants to do so much.I guess the work I always did now continues for us as I just love doing everything.We both are abit crazy as we love to change things.When I moved here into our unfinished house the neighbor was starting to do his basement.We had remodeled before he finished.
Yes the 302 will move you as you must relate to HP and torque per pound.Should be a blast to drive a V8 TR
A panhard rod is exactly as you have said.
I better change my profile as I did sell the Tiger.Surprisingly it took about 5 minutes after I had mentioned I was thinking of selling on a different site.I still feel a bit sad about that.
Winter is coming and I will probably be doing some of the car jobs i have been saving for then.I also think we'll be doing a frame up resto on a 53 Meteor customline.Looks exactly the same as the 53 Ford we had when we got married.
Life is so full and always sunny

TR7/8 TPI
10-03-2004, 11:13 AM
James,

She's not done yet. The uni body is still on the rotissery.

Check out my web site in the link below.