PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 lights wiring

PATR8
01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
OK, I have to admit defeat. Early this spring my lights all of a sudden stopped flipping up. The lights were spliced in when I bought the car and I never had trouble with them so I left them as is. I checked the fuses... nothing, and I changed nothing. I checked the connections and then the left one would go up but not down. Beleiving I have ADHAD, I just grew fustrated and wound them up and down manually until I swapped my spare set of motors in. I tested them up before I installed them and they both worked. Once in, neither worked, swappped in the original lights, neither worked.

Now, 9 months later, I forget what wires go where so here is what I have, can anyone match the wires with their mates?

Driverside

Light loom
Black w/ green stripe
Red w/ Green stripe
Green
Car loom
Black
Black w/ white stripe
White w/ a blue stripe

Brown w/ blue strip
Brown w/green
blue w/ green
Red w/ yellow ( fog lights I beleive)

Passanger Side

Light Loom
Red w/ Green stripe
Blue w/Green stripe
Black w/ green stripe

Car Loom
Blue w/ Orange stripe
Blue w/ Black stripe
Black

2 blue wires into on female connector
2 Brown w/ blue stripe on one female connector

I will let every one know I check the switch, used a jump between connectors and this still did not resolve any problems.

I would hope someone has this memorized, I have a factory manual and the colors just do not match up with what they had listed

Thanks for the help

Mickey Richaud
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Here's (https://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgelab/other/headlights/headlights.htm) the best site I've found for headlight info.

Good luck!

Mickey

PATR8
01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
After probing, digging and generally tearing the lights out of my TR8, I have concluded it must be the mysterious relay every one tells me exsist in behind my fuse box. Woody says it looks like two wires taped together, My repair manual show a similiar drawling. I CAN'T FIND IT!!!!!

I spent two hour, moved the actual fuse box incase it was hiding behind in, I looked under the fuse box incase it is hanging low...

does anyone know the color wires that are supposed to run to it?

And when I find it how do I know if it has gone bad?

JFS
01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
My car is in storage and I am suffering from CRS, but if I remember correctly the tube type canisters on either side of the fuses are relays, one of which might be labelled for lights.

tr8todd
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I believe you are referring to the headlight motor circuit breaker. It is a brown wire and a brown with pink striped wire. If you are getting power to the brown and pink wire, then it's working. The relays are the black plastic barrels connected to the back of the fuse panel. The brown and pink splits and sends power to both relays. Check them at the relays. Here is a good link.
https://www.team.net/TR8/tr8cca/wedgelab/other/schematics/TR8_schematics.pdf

PATR8
01-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I have found why I can not find the relay, the PO cut it out and replaced it with an inline fuse (which was blown). I was dumb founded because I could not even find the brown and brown and pink wire then it jumped at me there were two wires unlike the others in the fuse box and I waas able to track them back to the two brown wire.

The question I have now is what fuse size would be appropiate for the in line fuse

DNK
01-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Major, why not replace it with a relay?
Also, did you check that that was the problem?

tr8todd
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
If you want the original piece, I could probably cut one out of the parts harnesses I have. Chances are it was replaced with a fuse which subsequently also blew because the motors were drawing too much current. You need to find and fix that problem first.

PATR8
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I really doubt this was the only problem but I bet it definately contributed to it. I replaced the fuse but have not begun to play with the motors yet (batttery is dead). I am still not sure why they began to work randomly but I am fairly certian the blown fuse is why they stopped working altogether.

What is the consenus, do I need to take it back to the original relay? I think I would like to... Todd I will send a PM about acquiring one of your relays, thanks for the offer.

I need to spend an hour making sure the motors are wired right. My motors still appear to have several colored wires not listed on any of the wiring diagrams

PATR8
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Ok, I replaced the fuse, checked the relay.

New questions,

I have power to the blue wire in one position and brown wire in the other position but none to the three wire loom that plugs right in to the motor.

I am pretty sure there is supposed to be power to one of the three wires in the loom, am I crazy? Which on wire is it, ideas?