PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 windshield frame bent?

ichthos
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I have done all the manipulating I can do to try and line up my windshield and windows. My car was really abused and in pieces when I got it. How do I check to see if the windsheild frame is bent backwards? I thought about trying to get a used windshield frame, but that could be expensive. Any ideas?

Kevin

tdskip
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Are both sides the same angle?

ichthos
12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
It is difficult to tell, but it looks like they vary by one half inch from side to side. I guess I could take it off and measure it on the floor to be sure. I wish I could get some factory specs so I could have some point of reference. There are so many variables, that this could go on for a long time. No matter how I adjust the windowshield frame or adjust the door windows, when I roll the windows up, the top of the door window rubs against the windshield frame. There is basically 3/4 inch difference with the gap from top to bottom with the door windows.

Gliderman8
12-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Kevin have you tried putting the top up? Do the two latching pins lineup?

ichthos
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I was pressed for time this summer, and took my car into an upholstery shop to get my new top installed. The windshield was not installed when I bought my car, and it had no top. I explained the problem in lining things up, and the gentleman said he thought he could correct this. He had seen frames pulled back from heavy drivers pulling on it to get out of the car on TR6's before, and was confident he could line up the windshield and windows. He did a great job installing the top, but not much better than me in lining things up. He said that it couldn't be off more than 3/4", that he could still install the top with no ill effects later with minor adjustments. He said I could try bringing it back in after my trip and could try again. So, to make a long story short, yes, I can get the latch pins in. When I roll up the side windows, the top of the window rubs the windshield frame. Sorry for my long winded answer. I wish I could locate a local TR6 to compare, but my engine is torn down at the moment.

Kevin

poolboy
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Both windows ?

ichthos
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, although it looks like the frame might be slightly twisted.

Marvin Gruber
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Used Windshield frames are not that expensive, usually $50 to $100. Shipping adds to it, maybe $30/40 for that. PM me if you want one.

Marv

bgbassplyr
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Is the seal between the frame and the cowl seating evenly on both sides of the frame?
If it's tighter (closer) on the dash side than on the bonnet side, then the windshiel frame is bent backwards. You should then be able to loosen the two windshield pins to get a little slack and bend the frame forward, tighten the pins, and repeat until the seal strikes the cowl evenly or the side windows line up, or both.
Carefull not to crack the windshield glass.