PDA

View Full Version : AC Electric fuel pumps - time for some schooling..

tdskip
12-23-2009, 06:47 PM
OK guys - can I request a brain dump on all there is to know about these things?

Any good?

Where the heck does the ground go?

Etc....

Thanks!

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/tdskip_photos/P1010541.jpg

TR3driver
12-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Nothing wrong with the pump, had one on my motorhome gen set that worked great for many years. Until the ethanol in the gasoline turned the diaphragm to jelly, anyway <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Mine grounded through the mounting plate.

Oh yeah, you might want to check how much pressure they deliver. Some, though certainly not all, deliver 7 psi, which is too much for most British &amp; Italian carbs.

Personally, I'd rather have a Facet, but that's just me.

M_Pied_Lourd
12-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Tom,

I have the same pump on my 3A.

It is grounded through the mounting bracket.

Here are a couple of pics....

https://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/Fuel%20Pump%20and%20Carbs/CopyofP1040228.jpg

https://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/Fuel%20Pump%20and%20Carbs/CopyofP1040229.jpg

I will need to make a decision in the near future to stay with this pump, switch to a carter/facet etc, or go back to the stock mechanical pump.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

tdskip
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
How well do they work? Are they reliable? Easy to rebuild / troubleshoot them?

M_Pied_Lourd
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
No Idea....remember, I have never heard either of my 3A's run :smile:

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TOC
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Dupree made an identical one.
I have three or four.
Used to use them all the time...and get rebuild kits, points, etc.

When I wanted a better-than-SU pump for the Jag, I dug them out, tried and tried to find a kit for it.

I came up snake-eyes.

I hope somebody can find a kit, otherwise they go in the trash.

For what they were, at the time, they were great pumps.

If I remember, you could adjust the points to control pressure to a certain extent....but it's been a long time.

Before you want to depend on it, check for parts availability.

I even went to the manufacturer, no luck.

poolboy
12-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the points. It's been a while since I had a car that had one of these, but I do remember several times having the points stick together and having to crawl underneath and rap on the housing to get it started again. . I don't remember them ever sticking while it was running, just failing to start running was my problem.

tdskip
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Uh oh..... looks like these are trending towards being desk art....

poolboy
12-24-2009, 10:52 AM
But, Tom, if its an old sports car from the 50's or 60's youre expected to crawl up under it every so often for one thing or another. It's part of the "charm".

BTW, thanks for all you do around here and "over there".
I always look forward to seeing what you are up to.
Merry Christmas. pb

M_Pied_Lourd
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Tom,

I will send you mine and instead of desk art, you can have matching book ends <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

tdskip
12-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Tom,

I will send you mine and instead of desk art, you can have matching book ends <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

LOL, and as usual very generous!