PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Engine Saga

JKB1957
12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
This story has a happy ending, which it should this close to Christmas. First some details. In late August I noticed my oil pressure had started to drop. A check showed that the bearings had seen better days and since I was going to rebuild the engine I figured why not go up to 87mm pistons and liners. I posted a message on this board asking for peoples experieneces with replacement piston and liner sets. After a number of responses I went for the Mahle 87mmm set. Here's where it gets interesting. I had my block cleaned and machined by a reputible shop here in NorCal. When I went to put in the new liners they wouldn't fit. Measuring both the new and old liners showed a difference of .004 to .005. I spoke to a number of people and all said, they should just drop in and don't force them into the block. I checked with Moss, British Parts Northwest, and TRF and all of their liners were the same diameter as the Mahle liners I had. I should add that all three were very helpful in assisting me with my problem. After much frustration, a friend and I used emory cloth on the lower end of the Mahle liners. After taking off about .002 they fit, very nicely. So if anyone is installing a new set of pistons and liners and having trouble making them fit maybe what I went through can help. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

tdskip
12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

deadair
12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
That story warms my cockles.

Merry Christmas!

angelfj1
12-22-2009, 07:24 PM
This story has a happy ending, which it should this close to Christmas. First some details. In late August I noticed my oil pressure had started to drop. A check showed that the bearings had seen better days and since I was going to rebuild the engine I figured why not go up to 87mm pistons and liners. I posted a message on this board asking for peoples experieneces with replacement piston and liner sets. After a number of responses I went for the Mahle 87mmm set. Here's where it gets interesting. I had my block cleaned and machined by a reputible shop here in NorCal. When I went to put in the new liners they wouldn't fit. Measuring both the new and old liners showed a difference of .004 to .005. I spoke to a number of people and all said, they should just drop in and don't force them into the block. I checked with Moss, British Parts Northwest, and TRF and all of their liners were the same diameter as the Mahle liners I had. I should add that all three were very helpful in assisting me with my problem. After much frustration, a friend and I used emory cloth on the lower end of the Mahle liners. After taking off about .002 they fit, very nicely. So if anyone is installing a new set of pistons and liners and having trouble making them fit maybe what I went through can help. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Mahle is a very reputable company. They use materials far superior to what was available when our tractor engines were produced. IMHO, it is more likely that there were variations in your block casting than having a liner that was .002 over size. If your old liners were the originals, perhaps the factory did the same thing when they were fitted 50 years ago.
Glad to hear there was a happy ending and thanks for the heada-up!

Beerzz
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info

tinman58
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Glad to here that they went in John, Glen has kept me informed on your progress. Has Glen told you about my old valve cover? P.M. if you are intrested. It is the alloy finned style.