Barf... Is that scary looking or what.

(no, I'm not buying any more cars....)

mrv8q
12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
That will buff out....... :yesnod:

TOC
12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Typical General Misunderstanding.
The really bad part is the chrome around the front and rear windscreens.

These clips were plain steel.
The clips rusted, acted as "cancer", and ate out the body.

One of the reasons GM cars of the era stank of mildew.....everything is wet inside.

LOTS of work to fix the window areas.

That photo may very well be rot at the rear window reaching out under the vinyl top (since the remaining clips are plastic on the trim piece).

A lot of vinyl-top cars are re-worked without as they are a pain in the arse.

(notice the rot extends up under the top at the left of the photo)

Steve69
12-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Don't buy it -- the hood ornament is missing... :laugh: Besides, that Z in the background looks more intriguing
Steve

tdskip
12-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Wasn't ever really interested in buying it - just some play-shopping.

Close up look of the Z is scary too!

AngliaGT
12-20-2009, 04:07 PM
"One owner - California car"!
I always laugh when I hear that,when it applies to cars like those.

- Doug

tr8todd
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
On the East coast, that is commonly referred to as "surface rust". Most sellers don't consider it a big deal, and sometimes don't even acknowledge it's existence. Two other other understated terms for this condition are "needs paint" and "a little sheetmetal work". It doesn't become a big deal until the car folds in half when you open both doors at the same time--- like on a MG!!! I drove 500 miles round trip Saturday to go look at a BMW 2002tii that the owner described as "not terrible". It was so rusty that even the front spring perches had rotted off the struts. The saddest part of the whole trip wasn't the lost time and fuel money I spent. It was seeing an original Lotus Cortina GT sitting in his garage awaiting a supercharged Thunderbird engine and auto tranny.

Brosky
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
That body style was NOT one of GM's finest efforts....

rlwhitetr3b
12-21-2009, 10:20 PM
When I was in high school, I had a friend slip on the ice on the back seat floor of my 64 Chevelle. The water was coming in around the back window and some times was deeper than the nap of the carpet.

TR3driver
12-22-2009, 03:32 AM
When I was in high school, I had a friend slip on the ice on the back seat floor of my 64 Chevelle. My 62 Biscayne had the problem solved ... back floors were both too rotted out to hold water.

But every once in awhile, after hitting a mud puddle the wrong way, it would slap me in the back of the head with a chunk of mud! Never did quite figure that one out, but apparently the floor was acting like a scoop.

But I'm not complaining, it was a good car considering I only paid $15 and drove it home under it's own power.
:banana:

tdskip
12-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey - it's not just American cars where this happens. I had a 1988 GTI that had little ice skating rinks in the rear foot-wells each winter.

I never fixed it as I found it amusing when I'd have people riding in the back.

HerronScott
12-22-2009, 12:59 PM
My wife finally stopped driving the Spitfire on winter after the passenger floorboard exploded into the vehicle and drenched her with slush after going through an icy puddle.

We can look back and laugh now ("Right honey? Honey..") :smile:

Scott

TOC
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
The ONLY General Misunderstanding I ever had the misfortune of owning was a 1960 2-door Biscayne, and that was because I could find NO Fords available used.

1970, Groton, Connecticut, Sub School.....

235 PowerGlide.

The rear footwells were GONE, as in open rectangles (Fred Flintstone).
The main floor was rotted so bad the seat had noting to attach to (hit the gas, pin your knees under the wheel, hit the brakes, you and the seat were up against the steering wheel).

Bought a sheet of 3/4 ply, cut it to fit both sides of the hump, laid it down.
Bought a bunch of carriage bolts, laid scraps under the remains of the floor tin, bolted it together, then bolted the seat to that.

Bought a bottle of white Pactra paint and a small brush, this was when the Plymouth Dusters were first out, hand-painted "Ruster" on both wings and the rear deck above the bumper.

And, I will never own another GM.....