PDA

View Full Version : new stud gun

hondo402000
12-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Well since I am taking the car back down to metalagain for painting, as discussed on my other post I decided to get me a stud gun and pull out all the dents. I started by just redoing the body work from the previous repairs. But since then I saw some new tools and one was a stud gun that welds a stud to the dent area and you can pull the dents out without drilling holes in the pannels, all the dents were in areas you couldnt get to from behind, so now I am going back and do it better than the previous body shop,

Hondo

PeterK
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I want to try a shrinking disk to smooth over the small dents. Ever use one?

They're a stainless disk that mounts on a right-angle grinder. Friction from the SS heats up the dent and then a spritz with soapy water pops the dented area back out.

I've seen the stud guns and they are very impressive. Still using a slide-hammer but pull on the stud instead of screwing through the panel and pulling on the screw threads.

billspit
12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
I've always wanted a stud gun, but with only one good dent to fix on the latest car, I can't justify the cost. I was able to get some it it back close, but it's just too unreachable.

AweMan
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
I want to try a shrinking disk to smooth over the small dents. Ever use one?

They're a stainless disk that mounts on a right-angle grinder. Friction from the SS heats up the dent and then a spritz with soapy water pops the dented area back out.

I've seen the stud guns and they are very impressive. Still using a slide-hammer but pull on the stud instead of screwing through the panel and pulling on the screw threads.

I`v used the shrinking Disk method, It works great on Protruding dents {Metal that is above surface}. At least for me, dents that are below surface, not so good. You need to be able to heat the crown of the dent {THE MIDDLE} and not the edges, I never use water to cool, go a little at a time you can shrink too much if you are not careful. This can create a problem where you cant get to the reverse side of the metal. Hence the need for a stud gun or dent puller.
You can mount sanding disks {2 or 3} in reverse {grit side up} and use them for small areas that you dont want to insert too much heat into. Clean off the paint to bare metal heat with disk until you see the metal turn a straw color, stop, let cool {I never use water}, watch metal move, if metal doesn`t move enough, repeat process. And much like welding, Practice makes perfect!

hondo402000
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
well when I get finished with It I will be willing to rent it out for a small fee plus shipping for people to use it, but the way I am going it could be spring before I am finished. there is one crease on the drivers side and passinger side rocker pannels that need to be pulled out and under the rear bumper need some creases pulled out, this car has jumped some curves, woman drivers

yes sexist comment..... my opinion is the political correct talk needs to end

HOndo

ps drivers side f fender on its way to being reprimered, and it goes so much faster the second time around, and Wayne if you read this, got the barcoat and got the test pannel ready to paint

trrdster2000
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Hondo, You sure pick some bad times to paint, (36 degrees and sleet and snow in our area), and it's starting to get on my nerves. Golf has been out since you started talking about it. Can I use your paint cage to set a net up?? I'll call you in a bit to see how you came out.

Wayne

hondo402000
12-18-2009, 10:19 AM
wayne
I heat the paint booth up to 75 degrees and seems to work fine, just finished the test pannel I sprayed the duplicolor primer, dried over night, one coat of Bare coat, dried over night, sprayed on a coat of sealer, flashed for 30 minutes, sprayed 2 coats of BC, no alligator effect yet, will let flash and spray the clear, so far so good

Hondo

billspit
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
well when I get finished with It I will be willing to rent it out for a small fee plus shipping for people to use it,

That might work out just fine, because I won't be doing any more bodywork until Spring anywho.

hilsideser
12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Bill, I couldn't justify a stud welder either. Bought it any. Works great! Used the shrinking head about five times to lower "protruding" bumps on a bonnet. Really nice job.

billspit
12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
So I've got a guy with a stud welder one hour to the NE and another one hourish to the NW. Goodie.

hilsideser
12-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Take lots of CAB as offerings with you Bill...

DrEntropy
12-19-2009, 09:52 PM
:lol:

Grand plan, Patrick. It always works with me. :jester: