PDA

View Full Version : Trunnion grease again

karls59tr
12-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Watched a couple of experienced Triumph guys packing TR3 trunnions with plain axle grease at a friends garage the other day. I thought with all the discussion on the issue about whether to use oil or grease etc. that it would matter what you used. I went with the 00 Lubriplate when I did mine. What's the down side to plain grease?

TR3driver
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
In theory, the downside to grease is that it traps wear particles in the areas that rub, thereby increasing wear. This is supposedly why the later (TR4A-onward) trunnions were designed to run in oil rather than grease. The oil moves around, and theoretically flushes any wear particles out (to settle to the bottom).

But IMO, as long as you keep adding grease every 1000 miles (as the book says), the fresh grease will serve the purpose just as well. Plus, since the dirt is flushed out, it can't pile up in the bottom of the trunnion.

There is also the little detail that the TR3 trunnions have a crimped seam in the bottom, that may not hold oil indefinitely. Oil that leaks out is DEFINITELY worse than grease that stays in!
<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif