PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Original tr3 floor mats in place of carpet?

ekamm
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Is anyone using the original tr3 floor mats in place of carpet? If so do you have anything under it?

Twosheds
12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Is anyone using the original tr3 floor mats in place of carpet? If so do you have anything under it?

Yes.

No, just floorboards.

Don Elliott
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
All TR3As came with a beige jute underlay under the rubber front floor mats. Mine was like that from new. I bought new rubber mats in 1990 and cut 3/8" thick carpet felt underlay to fit. They are cut the size of the space needed, then I trimmed them about 1/2" to 1" narrower along each side so the underlay was lying flat on the floor pans and the rubber mats lay flat all over because the edges of the carpet over the tunnel and the carpets on the sidewalls - where the carpet folds flat onto the floor pans was all the same thickness (height above the floor pans).

I save the the black rubber mats for concours shows and when I bought my interior carpet set, I ordered two sets of red carpets for the front floor. I run the "every-day set" of red carpets and when I go to a show, I change for the new un-used clean set of red carpets. Fot TRA or VTR judged concours events, I drive my 1958 TR3A with the "every-day carpets" to the event and when I get to the show field, I remove them and insert the new black original looking rubber floor mats.

This photo is of my interior from 1990.

Don Elliott
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
And here we can see my "everyday" red carpet on the far side and on the right side you can see how the tunnel carpet lays about an inch onto the floorpan. This is why I cut the new underlay a bit narrower to avoid having a bulge under the black rubber floormat or the "everyday" carpets.