PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Door hinge removal fun!

Beerzz
12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Like most screws and bolts on the car, no easy solution. I need to get them off. Soaked them...bla bla bla Thanks for any suggestions. Ben

prb51
12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
are both sides stuck fast. You may be able to access the rear of the bolts thru the forward side kick panels...on the right there is usually a cutout behind the carpet for a speaker...more lubricant.
On the early cars the original hinges were brass, try heat on the bolts. I've had luck using a punch that fits the screw pattern and a mallet.

M_Pied_Lourd
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Ben,

Had the same experience as you. After a week of penetrating oil front and rear on the cage nuts( I had the front wings off), they still wouldn't budge (like the seat tracks).

I should mention that I was able to remove the doors as I could get the fasteners off the door hinge side. I left the hinges on the car until I could get them off....

I used heat and an impact driver/bfh to get them off.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TR4nut
12-13-2009, 01:47 PM
For some reason, it seems that the door side is easier - I agree that impact driver works well here.

tdskip
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Ben - I'm thinking you've been through this drill before. Nothing special about TRs in this regard, unfortunately, to pass along. Hang in there.

PeterK
12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I've got a big screw driver with a square stem that fits a 5/16" wrench. It adds a lot more torque than twisting.

But the hand impact screwdrivers work well for door hinges. I always hit them once in forward, then reverse and hit with bfh.