PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A 57 TR3 Still fighting window frame holder oner's

Beerzz
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Soaked em for days, hammer drove the crap out of them and 1 screw came loose but not out far enough to grab with vice grips. Body is denting in, tried to die grind 1 out (ha, try that sometime) so it's time for another approach. So..... Do I cut out the inner panel, or try to plasma cut em out from the underside? Help please!

TR3driver
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I would probably use a Dremel & abrasive cutoff blade to cut the existing slot deeper plus another slot at right angles. That should let you break away the heads enough to get the plate off and out of the way.

Then grind as necessary and drill undersize through the center. Increase the size slowly, until the drill just touches the threads on one side. If it doesn't come out on it's own by that point, you should be able to break and pick the pieces out with a dental pick. Run a tap through and voila.

Anyway, that process worked on my brake drums, which are rather similar.

One other thought, you are using Kroil or PB BLaster for soaking, right? WD40 & Liquid Wrench are useless IMO.

Beerzz
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
PB Blaster...

TR4nut
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I've always had good success using progressively larger drill bits and just drill out until the screw head can be snapped off.

Perrymip
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
It seems to me, if I remember your earlier post, that you are talking about the two chrome Dzus fittings at the bottom of each of the two stanchions, which secure the windshield to the body of a ('57?) TR3. If so, these are not screws, but Dzus fasteners. You are trying to turn each about a quarter turn counter-clockwise.

You should be able to get at the back side of all four with PB Blaster, etc., from inside the car. (You'll have to pull any carpeting away from either side).

Those Dzus fasteners engage a spring, and it's probably that spring which has become the center of a solid rust cake. TR3driver's suggestion about using a dremel to get some purchase with a driver sounds best to me. I would personally be very cautious using a hammer and some torsion device. You could make a terrible mess of the body.

toysrrus
12-11-2009, 05:47 AM
PB Blaster...

Howdy Beerzz,

And "MORE" BP Blaster!! I just bought a case @ Car Quest for $4.99ea. (Large Cans) & I`m using every bit of it!!

Oh; Don`t forget the "PATIENCE"!! Get a lot of that stuff!!

Have Fun,

Russ

Beerzz
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the advice....finally drilled the heads off. Blaster let me down:( I love the stuff but.... Anyhow, it's off and lots of work done yesterday. I have the steel ready to brace the body for removal. I want to post pics but not sure how? Should I get a photo bucket account or what? Thanks again.