PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3 steering column needed and questions also

captainde
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Hello,

I have a 57 tr-3 with an adjustable steering wheel. If I convert over to a fixed steering wheel, do I have to replace the entire column including the control head? Also what would be a fair price to pay for the entire used column?

Thanks,

Dennis

1957 TR-3 under restoration but still a driver

TR3driver
12-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I won't swear to it, but I believe you can use the 'adjustable' head in a fixed wheel. The head itself is the same, only the mounting plate/tube changes, and I think the longer 'adjustable' tube would fit OK in the 'fixed' column. Might have to let the stator tube protrude farther, though (or cut it off).

Sorry, no idea on a fair price for the column. But most of the restorers seem to like adjustable wheels, so maybe you can find someone willing to trade.

captainde
12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Randall,
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I should purchase the complete fixed column and then try to sell my adjustable column, they only reasonI'm doing this is because when I sit in the car, it seems like the wheel is right in my lap, even with the adjustment all the way in.

Thanks,
Captainde

Don Elliott
12-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Captainde - Get into a TR3A which has a fixed steering column. You will find it's exactly the same as your adjustable set-up with your wheel adjusted as far forward as it can be. I don't have the adjustable steering column and it's where you say "all the way in". I am 165 pounds and 5ft 10" tall. I l;ike the feel and the fit where it is for the body I came with.

The adjustable column was a "marketing option" for very short drivers who need to pull the steeing wheel closer back towards themselves. It's not meant to give more space to let a 250 pound linebacker get into a TR3A easier.

TR3driver
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Captainde - Get into a TR3A which has a fixed steering column. You will find it's exactly the same as your adjustable set-up with your wheel adjusted as far forward as it can be. With respect, Don, I don't believe that is true. The adjustable wheel has a deeper hub than the fixed wheel, and the adjusting nut won't fit into the gap in the dash, so the minimum position for the adjustable wheel is slightly closer to the driver than the fixed position.

Personally I don't feel the difference is worth the effort, but of course it's not my car. I'd move the seat farther back instead (which may require modifying or removing the 'occasional' seat and perhaps repositioning the pedals a bit).

angelfj1
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Captainde - Get into a TR3A which has a fixed steering column. You will find it's exactly the same as your adjustable set-up with your wheel adjusted as far forward as it can be. With respect, Don, I don't believe that is true. The adjustable wheel has a deeper hub than the fixed wheel, and the adjusting nut won't fit into the gap in the dash, so the minimum position for the adjustable wheel is slightly closer to the driver than the fixed position.

Personally I don't feel the difference is worth the effort, but of course it's not my car. I'd move the seat farther back instead (which may require modifying or removing the 'occasional' seat and perhaps repositioning the pedals a bit).

yes Randall is correct. AND I think the adjustable wheel is very cool!!!

captainde
12-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Don,

Thanks for the picture, by looking at your wheel it is a good 3" or more closer to the dash than mine when adjusted all the way forward.
Captainde

prb51
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Interesting about the adjustable moving forward....can't be that significant as my rigid column 56 doesn't have much clearance as is. If I moved it in much would be bumping fingers on the bodywork.

martx-5
12-12-2009, 12:44 PM
My buddy has TR3B with the adjustable wheel, and in it's most forward position, it is definitely a little further back then the standard wheel. In other words, it starts out too close and then can be adjusted even closer. :crazyeyes:

Out of all the options available for the TR3s, for me, the adjustable wheel is one thing I would avoid.

Funny thing, when I decided to put in the rack & pinion steering, since my original steering column was one piece, I needed the upper section of a two piece column to complete the installation. One of the guys in the local Triumph club had one, and said he'd just give it to me, as it was taking up space in his garage and he just wanted it out of there. It turned out to be an adjustable column... :hammer: I finally bought a standard one from ebay. Anybody need an adjustable upper column??

prb51
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Art,
The German R&P I purchased had a kit for the solid column early cars that I ordered. It had the upper column sleeve and shaft already properly bushed. The nice thing about this change is one can adjust the wheel position quite a bit due to the length of the U joint connectors at the R&P and half shaft position.
I've never seen the adjustable unit in person, I wonder if it was a very popular item for the reason we're discussing...not much room to go anywhere.

Mkutz
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a non-adjustable wheel, but I went with a 15 inch Moto-Lita steering wheel in mine. I'm about 6'1 or so, and needed the extra clearance for my left leg/ thigh when working the clutch. You might want to think about this option if you have similar clearance problems that an adjustable column can't resolve.