purchased a 72 TR6. It is a 1 owner that has been parked
in her garage since the mid 80's. After restoration I hope
to make this the dailey driver...and would like to have a
hard top for it.
Any feedback on what to look for as we start the search for
the hard top? I assume there is a factory as well as after
market hard top...which one is better? Are there things to
be aware of...like some hardware that might be missing is
almost impossible to find...or seals...or glass?
And lastly...for a top in decent shape...what should we expect
to pay for a good condition hard top? Thanks for the help.
Gil

tdskip
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi Gil. I'd suggest that you make sure you can get good new seals for anything you consider buying. I have an aftermarket hard top and getting seals that will work for it has been a pain.

Now to be fair, I haven't brought a sample to my local upholstery shop, so I really haven't been trying <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> hard, but it is a consideration.

Gliderman8
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I bought a Parrish aftermarket hardtop during the period that I was restoring my TR6. It has all the mounting hardware and is in great shape.... With that said, it has never been mounted on my car and sits neatly tucked away.
I just have not found the need to use it. During the driving season my top is down most of the time and I don't take it out in the rain. Living in the northeast means that when winter comes the car is staying put anyway.
Maybe it will be different for you living in a different climate. Factory hardtops have been selling for $800 to over $1,100 on ebay and then you have to add in the cost to refurb/repaint. Just my thoughts.

mallard
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
If you get a original factory top make sure it has good glass in the back. Nearly impossible to find. I would also try to get all the mounting hardware as it can get very expensive when you add up all the pieces.

Marvin Gruber
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Gil,

To bad you are so far away from me. I have three factory hardtops. I have seen prices from $300 to $1500. PM me if you think its feasible to ship.

Marv

jsteinberg48
12-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I have an extra top and an extra rear window. The top needs some work. Paid $900 plus shipping and crating, will take pest offer. The rear glass is nearly impossible to find. Paid $700, will take best offer plus shipping (its crated already).

I live outside NYC if anyone is interested in it locally. The glass is NYC-area, the Top in Bally, PA.

MDCanaday
12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Gil, my thought is that hard tops are pointless to the extreme,they leak too and if you want to go topless latter you cant.I had my surey lid wrapped as a union jack and still get it on the car just a few days a year.Worst 1000$ ever spent.
MD(mad dog)

GilsTR
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Mad Dog...Well...have any interest in selling the surry top?
Gil

bailee2
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I agree with some of the other members not to mess with one.
If you do not drive your car in Winter then what's the point?
They are hard to store and keep clean and functional.
It may make your car more sellable in the future but I have not missed the one I owned for years.
Thanks.

AngliaGT
12-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Some of you don't realise that Gil lives inland,in No.-
Calif.,where it gets cold,but not horribly cold.
It's not like the Midwest,or East Coast.

- Doug

bobh
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Gil,

Ilike the looks of the factory hardtop. Mine is nearly finished. Go for it Gil. Find the best and most complete that you can. Don't get one that doesn't have the rear glass. Use the TRF catalog as a reference to insure you get all the little pieces. Unless the seals and headliner are recent you should plan on having to replace them. Just those will run around $500. You may want to consider a different material for the headliner. The light color factory liner stains and gets very brittle over time. A friend is making mine from black Sunfast. Take it entirely apart and get a high quality paint job. Maybe put some sound deadener in before you install the headliner.
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF of the factory hardtop assembly instructions. It includes a parts list.

BOBH