PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A ? on TR4A clutch shaft - wear @ push-rod attachment

tdskip
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I noticed that mine was slightly oval-ed out where the push-rod from the clutch slave cylinder attaches to the downward facing extension (with the holes in it) from the clutch shaft.

I'm talking about part #10 below, and specially the part that is oval-ed out is where #13 goes.

https://mossmotors.com/Graphics/Products/Schematics/TRS-021.gif

From the Moss & TRF schematics it looks like I need to replace the whole clutch shaft to fix that. Yes/no? Ideas?

Thanks!

TR4nut
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Tom-

Cost issues aside, yes I'd just change out the clutch cross shaft. TRF I think may still have them on sale, I just bought one with the fittings for the grease zerks which is a nice upgrade to do at the same time.

Randy

tdskip
12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Got it - thanks Randy!

DNK
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Check BPNW. Isn't there a heavy duty one made?
It's been a while since I did that

TR3driver
12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
If that hole is worn, likely the shaft is also worn where it goes through the bushing.

But wear in the hole doesn't really matter, unless it's in danger of breaking. On the TR2-4, there is supposed to be free play at that point, so the slop in the hole just becomes part of the adjustable free play. And on the 4A, there should be a spring inside the slave that pre-loads that joint and removes the play from operation.

FWIW, the hole can be repaired, by welding or brazing and then drilling/reaming it back to size. But not worth the effort in this case, IMO.

BTW, I'm not sure offhand when the change was, but the TR6 used narrow steel bushings for that shaft to ride in. The wide bronze bushings from a TR3 will fit, and IMO are better.

prb51
12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I'd just adjust the slave cyl rod, can't see that it would affect much...and wait til I needed to do a clutch job or is this already all apart?

mallard
12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
If thats all thats wrong with it I just drilled mine out and replaced the pin with a shoulder bolt, spring washer, and nylock nut that I got from Ace. Mine was not that bad so the hole only need to be enlarged a small amount. Very quick and easy fix.