PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6+ clutch questions

19_again
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
First time ever looking inside clutch housing and what do I find? Evidence of "sqealed when parked" is my best guess. It appears that the the PO had at one time installed the driven plate bassackwards, as shown by the wear patterns. My question is is any of this salvageable and more importantly could the friction,wear and trauma inflicted on the bolt heads caused any internal damage?
Thanks,
Mike

Andrew Mace
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I suspect that the bolt heads and the driven plate took all the stress and damage; likely all else is ok. I wouldn't want to be the one to try to remove the flywheel in order to replace those bolts, though. :frown: Good luck!

DrEntropy
12-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah, it's a crap-shoot with the bolts... ~almost~ enuff damage to say they need replacing. If you decide to do that deed use ONLY an impact wrench to try removal. You'll only get one shot at it, methinks, and you don't want the heads mauled any further. If it were my car I'd attempt it. If it were a client's car there'd be the caveat that it is recommended but could incur some 'unusual' expense if they don't come out cleanly/easily. You like a challenge. :smirk:

As for the driven plate, I've seen that condition go to the point the springs come loose from capture and jam in the works. Not pretty. New plate IS in order at a minimum.

trrdster2000
12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I can't figure how he got far enough to get that much ware without the plate blowing apart. Everything was working in reverse. New plate is your only good choose and replace the bolts. Use a punch and give them a good bang in the center to brake the rust up and a shoot of WD40 or something will help.

Wayne

19_again
12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Wayne, I've decided to get a whole new clutch assembly and be done with it. I'm not going back in there again in my lifetime. As for the bolts, the actual wear on the heads is less than a 1/16th" and the heads still have their shape and angles are all still sharp. The bolts look worse than they are, but Nigel will be getting the order for the Coventry 3 pc kit.
Mike