PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted...

AlWallace
12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I have just joined this forum and wanted to get some opinions on the car pictured at the link below. I am not sure how to get images into the message body yet so I uploaded to photobucket.
This car has has a frame off restoration 10 years ago, has been driven 3300 miles since. This is a 1960 as per the commission #.The original engine has been replaced with one from '58 but it has OD. I have gone over the car but wanted to get some feedback from yourselves, just incase I am missing something. The only rust I could find after crawling all over the car was below the rear licence plate light inside the spare tire compartment. I am hoping to test drive this week and decide from there whether to buy. Any and all comments welcome and thank you..

Al

https://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/peyto_1896/?newest=1

tdskip
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
First of all - welcome!

I'm running out the door with kids/wife to grab some dinner, but others will jump in here.

You might want to post pictures of her sills / front lower fenders / front floor section where it meets the bulkhead etc.

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/peyto_1896/IMG_6872.jpg

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/peyto_1896/IMG_6919.jpg

https://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac78/peyto_1896/IMG_6913.jpg]

AlWallace
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I have added a few more to the list...Thanks
Al

Marvin Gruber
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Its either an older restoration or someone has kept up it up very well. I saw some hard to find parts. I'm impressed. All depends on the price.

Marv

GilsTR
12-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Al...Looks like a real prospect. You know the usual "hot spots"...battery box...sills...and floorboards! As important...glide over the body with a magnet...see how much
filler "Bondo-Bob" has hid for you! Good Luck, Gil

bgbassplyr
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks pretty original to me. Hot spots for rust as mentioned above. If the price is right and it drives well, go for it.

Don Elliott
12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
This late TR3A appears to be quite "correct" in most of the details. And it has an overdrive. Some details I noticed are the brown carpets, the odd looking switch on the dash at the LHS above the "Overdrive" switch, the weld where the RHS outer sill (rocker panel) is welded to the bottom of the "B" post looks a bit "incorrect" and the bolts holding the seats in place have nuts on the bottom of the new floor pans. These should be square nuts in captive boxes so you can take out the seats and the slide tracks from above without the need for a second person underneath. I do this at least once a summer after a rainy deluge hits when I'm driving with the top down and I want to dry out the carpets on the fence or the clothes line.

My 1958 TR3A has Dupont Imron black aircraft and truck paint on the chassis frame and it looks great when I want to clean it because it's so smooth and shiny. It looks even better afterwards - and it was painted 21 years ago and I've driven it 102,000 miles since. But the TR shown here has what looks to be black gravel-guard on the frame and this will become grubby looking in a year. But it tells me that it has just undergone a "body-off" restoration - and quite recently. Notice that there is very little "dirt" on the underside since it was finished.

Other than that, I think it looks great. How does it sound ? How does it run ?

Russ Austin
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Don I think they were black carpets that have faded, I've seen it before.

AlWallace
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Don and everyone - Thank you for the comments. I will check a few more things listed above when I go back. The carpets have started to fad but are black, also the car has been left in the garage with the top down while the sliding compound mitre saw was used which has coated everything with a fine layer of sawdust. I have not had a chance to drive it yet the owner is away and due back this past weekend. I will query him about the switch among other things and I will remember my magnet this time.

Al

tdskip
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Anyone else concerned about the rust coming through the paint already? Maybe it is just a localized issue, but I'd be concerned about if that section wasn't handled properly what else is lurking?

I'm not saying don't buy it if the other details and price is right, but given my experiences if a corner was cut somewhere you'll find other places as well.

AlWallace
12-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I had the same concern when I first saw it. I then thought that given its location right beneath the light that it could be localized. I assumed a faulty gasket or fitting of the light. I did give the car a good once over specifically looking for rust. This was the only spot I could find, or that was showing. I will see if I can pop the light off and see what lies behind. I also agree that if one corner was cut then maybe others were too.
If it is localized ...what is involved with repair?

Al

TR4nut
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Offhand, if you can verify that the car is a 10 year old restoration rather than something recent I'd be less concerned about anything lurking - bad bodywork & rust can easily show up over time without driving a mile due to just normal humidity levels.

I don't think you need to pull the rear light, just open the boot lid there and take a peek. Might have been the result of water getting in the trunk, or maybe just long term condensation buildup in the spare tire area that did some damage (that's my guess).

Fixing-wise, I'd be tempted to just sand it down and hit it with a good primer/topcoat out of a rattle can and then just enjoy the car. That is not a high visibility area, so provided you get the color close it looks like an easy fix.

NickMorgan
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Looks like a very nice car with just a few minor things to sort out, but that's the fun of owning one!

tdskip
12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Offhand, if you can verify that the car is a 10 year old restoration rather than something recent I'd be less concerned about anything lurking - bad bodywork & rust can easily show up over time without driving a mile due to just normal humidity levels.

Randy makes a very fair, and important point. I was just trying make sure that you weren't surpirsed elsewhere.