PDA

View Full Version : Feeling out of place

tinman58
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
We had a local diner sponcer a toys for tots run, Starting at the diner 30 miles away and we all drive in a wagon train with all the other old classics and motercycles. Nigel and I were the only BLC (he drives a nice austin healy) The motorcycles all took off in a VERY LOAD ROAR. Nigel and I took the lead of the cars. Many thumbs up on the way. At the car show of course the bikers stayed with the bikers. The ford, chevy etc. guys had some intrest in the LBC'S but not much. It seems that if you don't have a big v-8 and lots of crome they ain't intrested. But we will be at more local shows coming up and show them that we do have cars a little different. It's fun to be a little different!

GilsTR
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Dan...Know the feeling of being a little out of place when
going to the "Chrome & Flame" car shows. But we have found
that mutual respect for the talent and hard work in putting
a car back on the road makes doing a few of these shows fun.
Locally there is a show with some great Model A Rods...and
the owners did all the work themselves. Hats off to them.
In turn...many come by and check out the TR3's. Every year
hear a couple stories from their Triumph experiences back
in the 60's! On these 2 lane roads...plenty of room for us all! Gil

Russ Austin
12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Here in Evansville, Indiana we have one of the largest Hot Rod show in the midwest The Frog Follies. Over 4,000 pre 1949 hot rods from all over come from Thrusday to Sunday, on Friday night our local British Car club SIR BRIT Cruises the hotels. I had hot rods stop us and want to sit in the TR3 and take there picture, pretty cool there car guys too.

tomshobby
12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Shirley and I got that same treatment when we first started attending cruise nights. I remember the first time we drove in for one. The rest of the folks completely ignored our car.
We kept going and visitors took an interest in our TR6. Finally other owners began showing some interest. Then we joined one of the Detroit Iron clubs and became more involved. One of the other members eventually took a closer look and asked some intelligent questions then commented, "Well, you even do the same things to your car that we do to ours."
As time went on we became very much included in the club. We also attend two other cruise nights through the summer months and have been not only accepted but have made many friends that look for us and wonder where we were if we miss.
Another thing that has happened is that other LBC's have started showing up.
All I can say is keep going. Get to know some folks even if you have to make the move, several times even. There are people that already understand that a collector car is a collector car and that we are all in this together. Most of the others will eventually come to the same conclusion. At least that is how it has gone for us and we are happy that we did not give up on it.
These are two local clubs we are in. On the Road Apples front page photo Shirley and I are in the front row at the far right.
https://www.madbrits.org/
https://www.roadapples.org/
So, stick your neck out and have some fun! And don't be afraid to enjoy looking at the Detroit Iron.

AngliaGT
12-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I,too enterted one of the local car shows at a
local resturaunt.Mostly Street Rod-Muscle Cars.
Very few poeple looked at the TR6.I thought about
it for awhile,& came to the conclusion that this is a
Street Rod/Muscle Car show,& I'm out of my element.I took
no offense.I equate it with someone bringing a '68 GTO to
a British Car gathering.

- Doug

angelfj1
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
We had a local diner sponcer a toys for tots run, Starting at the diner 30 miles away and we all drive in a wagon train with all the other old classics and motercycles. Nigel and I were the only BLC (he drives a nice austin healy) The motorcycles all took off in a VERY LOAD ROAR. Nigel and I took the lead of the cars. Many thumbs up on the way. At the car show of course the bikers stayed with the bikers. The ford, chevy etc. guys had some intrest in the LBC'S but not much. It seems that if you don't have a big v-8 and lots of crome they ain't intrested. But we will be at more local shows coming up and show them that we do have cars a little different. It's fun to be a little different!

Yes, I know the feeling.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Another thing which really irritates me is that they refer to their engines as motors.</span>
</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Strange!</span> :wall:

Rhodyspit75
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi new guy here. I had my frame off resto back on the road this summer. One of the last car shows was held in October on a cold overcast Sunday. Since I knew the sponsor I decided to put my 75 spitfire in. It was mostly muscle cars and hot rods. I was placed in between a GTO and a Ford f150 4 door truck with flames. As spectators came they were given a ballot to vote for their favorite car by catagory. The "kids choice" award went to a Beetle and my Spit won the "ladies choice". I found a lot of interest and met a lot of people who either owned or had owned british car. I will definitly plan to go to more shows next year hopefully sporting new paint and seats.

Twosheds
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Another thing which really irritates me is that they refer to their engines as motors.</span>
</span>

Could that be due to their cars being made by General Motors and Ford Motor Company?

Roger007
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I entered my 59 Bugeye sprite in a car show a few years ago sorounded by big GM,Ford,Mopar,and won the peoples choice award!!!

CinneaghTR
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it is real hit or miss, at least in my area (metro DC). We've been going to cruise nights for about two years. I like the idea of all makes and models from the 1950s and 1960s in one place. Sometimes you get a great response from visitors and the other car owners, especially at the Jimmie Cone (pictured) and Marley Station. Sometimes you can hear the crickets chirping. My experience with British car shows has been the same.

angelfj1
12-08-2009, 04:05 PM
John: I don't think so. The reason I say that, is that even early last century, automobiles (the entire vehicle) were commonly referred to as "motors", you know, as in motoring, etc.

swift6
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I found that it can take persistence and stepping forward on your part if you are the odd man out. Instead of waiting for the red carpet to be rolled out, go on the offensive. If you go and look at their cars, ask questions etc... They will get around to asking you which car you have. They might be shocked when you tell them but they will figure out your a car guy/gal too. Next thing you know they will be looking at your car and asking you questions. The key is to also keep showing up to events like these. When you see the same guys, talk to them again. Eventually they will stop referring to you as the guy with the weird little British car and you will be just another car guy/gal along with them. Tom's experience is close to what I have experienced except I haven't joined the local Hot Rod/Muscle Car clubs. But I do invite them to join our local British club on drives. A few have even shown up. :thumbsup:

TR3driver
12-08-2009, 05:24 PM
</span>

Not so strange, a car engine IS an example of a motor.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Motor

https://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/motor?view=uk

canam1212
12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Dan I spent a few years rebuilding corvettes and camero's , I even rebuilt a Harley road king. But this time I wanted something different. I did not want to work on the same old thing that everybody else is working on . Sometimes it's nice to be different

tinman58
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys for the support. But I think that Nigel and I got a fair deal on the car show gallery.
https://diggersdiners.com/diggers-diner/3rd_Annual_Toy_Drive.html#175

Twosheds
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
John: I don't think so. The reason I say that, is that even early last century, automobiles (the entire vehicle) were commonly referred to as "motors", you know, as in motoring, etc.

Of course I was merely teasing you, but how do you explain Continental Motors Corporation, that makes only engines, hmmm?