PDA

View Full Version : Clymer manual worth getting?

JohnB
12-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Are there any opinions out there regarding the Clymer Manual for the TR2, TR3 and TR4?

I currently am using the Haynes Manual (fair) and an original Triumph Factory Service Manual (better). Am wondering if it's worth it to pick up the Clymer. Anything better about it? Or worse?
Or does it just rehash what's in the others?

Thanks..........

TR3driver
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Can't lay my hands on my copy at the moment, but I don't recall it having anything that wasn't covered in the Haynes; and it didn't have as many pictures either. If you've already got the other two, I wouldn't bother with the Clymer.

Geo Hahn
12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I'll second that. I almost enjoy the odd misprint or omission in the Haynes manual (like the recent work I did on a starter where they neglect to mention that the big nut on the end of the shaft is left-hand threads). Keeps you on your toes.

Haynes does have good illustrations and pics that look like someone was really working on the car (dirty hands and all) instead of some studio shot that shows the part in an impossibly easy position for working on it.

AngliaGT
12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Clymer manuals are great - if you need something to
start a fire with,or like to look at colorful charts,etc.

- Doug

RossL
12-06-2009, 02:08 AM
I got that one with the car........................probably why I had to make so many repairs.

I prefer the Haynes and Bently, if I could only have one it would be the Bently. I never look at the Cylmer

JohnB
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Can someone expand a bit on the Bently amnual? I've heard it referenced before
but know nothing about it. Author - publisher - availability?

Thanks

TR3driver
12-06-2009, 02:32 AM
"The Bentley" refers to a reprint of the factory workshop manual, (which also includes an early version of the TR3 owner's manual).
https://www.bentleypublishers.com/triumph/tr2/Triumph-TR2-and-TR3-1953-1957-Repair-Manual.html
Also available in the US from the usual suspects.

HerronScott
12-06-2009, 10:09 AM
When I did my TR4A, I had the Bentley, Haynes and Autobook manuals. Although it's nice sometimes to have different descriptions on how to do things, it's the Bentley manual that's worn out.

Scott

dklawson
12-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Clymer manuals are great - if you need something to
start a fire with,or like to look at colorful charts,etc.

- Doug

That's the truth!

Back when I was a teen Chiltons and Clymers were the common manuals. They were useless. I remember they frequently would have sections that said "This is a task best left to the dealer or certified mechanics". I was happy to give away my Chiltons and Clymers manuals over the years.

I like Bentley manuals. As mentioned above, they are basically a reprint of the factory publications. I also like Haynes. I seldom have complaints about those books... largely because of how poor the Chiltons and Clymers books were. I also like the AutoBook publications. I have one for the Spitfire and one for the Mini. They are like a condensed Bentley manual and often include testing methods not listed in Bentley or Haynes.

JohnB
12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
So the Bentley Manual is a reprint of the original Factory
Service Instruction Manual that I have been using ever since '68?

The picture at the Bentley site shows the same book I actually have. Think I paid under $10 for it back then!

I guess I already have the two best print sources available. Actually three, I also have the original Instruction Book (owners manual) for my TR2. It has lots of great pics right out of the Service Manual.

Thanks

swift6
12-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I have a Clymer manual for my TR6, but it rests with the collection of TR6 Print media as a sort of novelty item. It doesn't set on the shelf in the garage at all.

Geo Hahn
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
No one mentioned it, but the one other manual I use often is the Lucas Fault Diagnosis manual. Has step-by-step procedures for checking the major electrical components, I find it especially useful for finding generator and starter faults and adjusting the control box.