PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Sun VIsors

RedTR3
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
My family asked me for my Christmas wish list and one thing I've never gotten around to getting are the Moss acrylic sun visors. I'd appreciate opinions from members here who have these: like or not like?

Thanks, Tim

poolboy
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
If your head is close to the top of the windshield you'll like them.
Here's mine plus wind wings on my TR6.https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/100_0440.jpg
https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/poolboy_album/100_0435.jpg

I got them here:
https://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=54&osCsid=79421763c0d... (https://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=54&osCsid=79421763c0d..)

prb51
11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Clearly indicates a sign of weakness in TR3 drivers. If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.
Aeroscreens and sunglasses are the answer.

What was the question again?

DNK
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Need one of those top dealies for the Wedge

Perrymip
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.

What was the question again?[/QUOTE]

You forgot the cigarette, dangling off the lower lip. And instructions about what evasive measures to take when encountering the snow plow.

tinman58
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Quote:
If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.
And a heater that will keep your right knee warm!

Moseso
12-01-2009, 01:00 AM
My opinion is that a hat, with a proper brim to shade the eyes, is all one needs in a TR3. That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...

A picture of a proper hat (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/gallery/49/medium/18586.jpg) (the beard is also a good thing to have, given the generally accepted low output of the heater)

TR3driver
12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...You cut the rear edge of the rubber gasket on the windshield, so the visors clamp onto the exposed metal lip. Obviously you then have to remove them to fit the top.

I tried them once, didn't care for them.

PeterK
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I have a set of old browish tinted visors (the lens are sparkled from age) that came on my 3A.

Instead of cutting the top gasket, the gasket just lifts around the visor brackets where it clamps to the windscreen surround. To soft top fits fine even with the visors iinstalled. I haven't fitted the hardtop yet so I can't say if it will interfere.

I like them, don't generally wear sunglasses ot hats, and the visor provides a nice shield from the sun in my eyes.

UmmYeahOk
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Are you guys seriously suggesting driving with the top down and windows up?!? I don't care if it's 30 degrees out and the top won't close (been there) you drive with the windows up, you be pulled over within minutes! That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!

My opinion is that a hat, with a proper brim to shade the eyes, is all one needs in a TR3. That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...

A picture of a proper hat (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/gallery/49/medium/18586.jpg) (the beard is also a good thing to have, given the generally accepted low output of the heater)

No freakin way! I wear a very similar hat in navy too! My experience is visors blind you, and doesnt seem to block out the sun the majority of the time. Plus, being a girl I have long hair, so to keep my hair from smacking me in the face benifits everyone on the road, not just me. I don't like wearing sunglasses or having my hair up so it works well.

PeterK
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
TR3's don't have side windows; they just barely have doors :laugh: . And the top doesn't hinge up and down. You have to erect the top frame as you install the vinyl top to the car. And yes I have installed the sidescreens on the doors with the top off. The heater certainly won't keep us warm if the temp is in the 30s. What's the safety violation anyhoo?

As far as wind in a 3, suffice it to say that there's a lot - a kin to driving a motorcycle. And it is a blast to drive, hair back or down (I have a long ponytail.)

But the visors DO help me with glare from the sun that shines OVER the top on the windscreen (I leave mine in the UP position.) If you are vertically challenged, you probably can't see over the top so it wouldn't matter.

TR3driver
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!Huh? I see people do that all the time; kind of like a big sunroof. Don't think it's illegal here, I'd be surprised if it was in Texas.

And yes, I even see people drive TR3s with the sidescreens installed and the top down. Makes perfect sense when the wind is cold but the sun is warm (a common occurrence around here). The sidescreens cut down a huge amount on wind even without the top.

UmmYeahOk
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!Huh? I see people do that all the time; kind of like a big sunroof. Don't think it's illegal here, I'd be surprised if it was in Texas.

I am afraid you guys don't understand. It's not a safety violation, it's a fashion violation. Probably the only thing worse than driving with the top down and windows up is probably driving with your fuel door open! And believe me, the fashion police will get you. The reason you probably see so many violators is probably the same reason you see so few people signal. They don't care they're breaking laws. They probably don't even care that they are driving as there are probably 10 things more important (they think) going on.

As far as TRs not having things so basic proves that I know very little about these cars, but I do have to ask "why so primitive?" And for being a British car where it's overcast, foggy, damp, and cold 10 months out of the year I'm surprised Triumph lasted as long as they did. Not to be bashing the manufacturer, but honestly, they invested too much in convertibles. In a world where convertibles are created from coupes and sedans, they were making coupes from convertibles (ex: GT6)

poolboy
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
They were designed as Roadsters not "convertibles".

rlwhitetr3b
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
it's a fashion violation.

Fashion police be d*mned! :angel: Iím a cranky old man who does not care what anyone else thinks of the way I look. I drive a convertible as my daily driver. My intension is to have the top down anytime the temperature is 40 degrees or above unless it is raining, because I like driving with the top down. If this means that I have the windows up and a hooded sweatshirt on with the hood up so what! Iím happy and if it really bothers you, take a different street. :banana:

I will let someone else address your comments about the side screen TRs.

prb51
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
https://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/prb51/MomvisitCars045.jpg

Proper TR3 motoring, winter or summer, having top up and sidescreens on is a fashion faux paux unless driving the Monty in dead of winter.

rlwhitetr3b
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry, but it does not look like your weather and mine have much in common.

TR4nut
12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I have to admit, I agree with Um. When I'm in the TR4, those windows stay DOWN.

rlwhitetr3b
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
If I lived in Texas or Arizona, I would agree. :yesnod:
The windows are down if it is 50 or above. Below that the numb fingers makes driving too much of a hassle. :driving:

So the consensus is that if the windows are up the top should be also? :nonod:

poolboy
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey who's making the rules around here ? Mahmoud Ahmadi-Najad or somebody ?

mallard
12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
It's yours drive it the way you want to,(unless the wife is with you) then tell her how you are going to drive it before you leave. Not sure yet about the 3 but I can drive the 6 on the freeway all day in the rain and not get wet with the hood down.

sail
12-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Too warm in Iran to make rules here where it will be in the 20's the rest of the week. Hood is up for the duration of winter, my window is always down in any car.

swift6
12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
As far as TRs not having things so basic proves that I know very little about these cars, but I do have to ask "why so primitive?" And for being a British car where it's overcast, foggy, damp, and cold 10 months out of the year I'm surprised Triumph lasted as long as they did. Not to be bashing the manufacturer, but honestly, they invested too much in convertibles. In a world where convertibles are created from coupes and sedans, they were making coupes from convertibles (ex: GT6)

True roadsters didn't have roll up windows or stow away tops. Those were considered more luxury and GT (Gran Touring) than "sporting". The larger the market buying the cars though, the more luxury items people wanted so roll up windows and attached stow away tops ("hoods" in the vernacular...) became standard items and the concept of a "true" roadster was diminished. The English enjoyed building 'convertibles' because they would rejoice so much when the sun actually peeked out from behind the cloud-wall. As much as they might have rejoiced in the occasional stray ray of sunshine though, the vast majority of Triumphs topless cars were sent to other countries (mainly the US), only a small percentage stayed at home in Blighty. Sports car production was only part of the Triumph product list. If you followed the genetic history of your GT6 back a little further, you would find it came from a cheeky little sedan called Herald, by way of the Spitfire.

TR3driver
12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Sorry, this is the wrong forum for "fashionable". You want fashion, check over in the Jaguar forum.

Sidescreen TRs are for people who get their manicures by dragging their hands on the pavement!

Keith, much the same thing applies in a '3. The top won't keep you any drier as long as you stay above 45 mph or so. But there's always some dang fool being "safe" by driving slow enough to get wet!

Not sure when the "dead" of winter comes, but I put probably 60 miles on the TR3 today, and it doesn't even have the hardware to attach a top or sidecurtains. Thank goodness for my leather jacket &amp; motorcycle gloves.

LexTR3
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I tried the sun visor and didn't like it. I returned it. the problem, as pointed out earlier, is that you either have to cut the rubber gasket on the windshield or mount the visor clamps under the gasket (unsightly!) Also, when you don't need the visor and put it up, it sticks up above the windshield -- awkward when you have the top down. I agree with others: use a hat with a brim and sun glasses. If you really need a sun visor much of the time, you might resort to those tinted sheets that press on to the back of the windshield but are not glued on (these used to be poular back in the 50s).
Ed

angelfj1
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
The windows are down if it is 50 or above. Below that the numb fingers makes driving too much of a hassle. :driving:

sheesh!!! what a bunch of wimps!!! All you need is the proper clothing and you can drive any time of the year (road conditions permitting). I've lived all over the US but prefer our four distinct seasons here in S.E. PA. BUT, you must be dressed warmly to do any motoring after October through mid March.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/sheepskin-pilot-helmet--a.jpg

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/gloves.jpg

UmmYeahOk
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
it's a fashion violation.

Fashion police be d*mned! :angel: Iím a cranky old man who does not care what anyone else thinks of the way I look. I drive a convertible as my daily driver. My intension is to have the top down anytime the temperature is 40 degrees or above unless it is raining, because I like driving with the top down. If this means that I have the windows up and a hooded sweatshirt on with the hood up so what! Iím happy and if it really bothers you, take a different street. :banana:

Its a bigger crime here because the temp could be 70, 80, even 90 and people will still have the windows up and top down. There's probably some excuse I can't think of, like they can't hear their cell phone. Personally, I like accusing them of purchasing a brand new $30k vechicle and the window motors don't even work! I mean that has to be it! What else would explain the individuals who have the top down, front windows down but the rear windows up? (no passengers) another confusing one is all the windows are down except the front passenger. (Again, no passengers) All these violators tend to drive brand new convertibles, so what's wrong with their electrics?

I just never understood if it's too cold or too hot for you why have the top down? This is especially confusing because almost always I will have my top and windows down, so when I see theirs up, I have to question why they even got a convertible if it's that discomforting for them.

I feel that if you're not going to have the top down for at least half the year, it shouldn't be your daily driver. If I lived up north, I would never have a roadster as a daily driver. Probably not even a convertible, and other than my gt6, all I've ever owned were convertibles. I definately wouldmy own a motorcycle. But that's the thing. The bikers who ride in the cold and rain, they never complain about it. They chose that lifestyle. They know leather can only do so much. They know that if they start complaining about the elements someones going to ask them why they chose such a vehicle, and their own kind will question why they feel the need to continue with such a hobby that they're not even enjoying.

Moseso
12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I am afraid you guys don't understand. It's not a safety violation, it's a fashion violation. Probably the only thing worse than driving with the top down and windows up is probably driving with your fuel door open! And believe me, the fashion police will get you.Oh dear...
Check out that picture I posted again, and then you will realize that the urgings of the fashion police are entirely lost on me. Though, I never use the side curtains without the hood. I don't like the way the side curtains flap around when I do that.
Also -- the hat visor works very well for me.
Re: hair. I haven't enough on top to blow into my face -- ever. Last spring, however, I found my beard likes to blow up into my face -- so I trimmed it. The fashion police probably approved of that one. :laugh:

UmmYeahOk
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM

sheesh!!! what a bunch of wimps!!! All you need is the proper clothing and you can drive any time of the year (road conditions permitting). I've lived all over the US but prefer our four distinct seasons here in S.E. PA. BUT, you must be dressed warmly to do any motoring after October through mid March.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/sheepskin-pilot-helmet--a.jpg

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/gloves.jpg

I can't wear that in my 94 mustang or in my former 88 BMW. I'll get laughed at. It works in the old TRs but if you're in a spitfire, no way. Now I've driven with a mor modern looking outfit, but only because the top was already down and I was only driving a mile or two and didn't want to bother putting it up.

And then there's the visor issue. Visors only good 2 hours before and after dusk and only if your drive east or west EXACTLY towards the sun. I'm having trouble finding mk1 gt6 sunvisors. But then I realize I'm not going to use them anyway, that's what the hat is for.

Oh, and 60 and 50 in Texas is much much colder than 60 and 50 up north. In AZ it's probably dry enough that it's not so much an issue. But if it's 60 or colder, tops up. None of that windows up crap. If it's cold enough for me to want the heater on and windows up, it's cold enough for the top to be up too. At that point it's not about fashion sense, it's about common sense.

prb51
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't know, there is something trad Brit about driving inadequatly heated/protected auto's in bad weather...an in your face/stiff upper thing. I use the Aeroscreens in winter, in the mountains when there is snow on the ground. Makes autoing more of an adventure ...
I also ride my cycle in winter/snow/rain whatever.

UmmYeahOk
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I am afraid you guys don't understand. It's not a safety violation, it's a fashion violation. Probably the only thing worse than driving with the top down and windows up is probably driving with your fuel door open! And believe me, the fashion police will get you.Oh dear...
Check out that picture I posted again, and then you will realize that the urgings of the fashion police are entirely lost on me. Though, I never use the side curtains without the hood. I don't like the way the side curtains flap around when I do that.
Also -- the hat visor works very well for me.
Re: hair. I haven't enough on top to blow into my face -- ever. Last spring, however, I found my beard likes to blow up into my face -- so I trimmed it. The fashion police probably approved of that one. :laugh:

I had no idea that was you. I assumed it was a picture randomly taken from the net.

I agree about the doors. They remind me of jeeps, if theyre up, the top needs to be up too. Then again, they make hard doors and tops for those vehicles. Their owners tend to have more sense about those things and buy the accesories that fit them the most. Since they're a bit difficult to install and remove, you are more likely going to find out who's more with nature, and who's always prepared.

Classic vehicles tend to have fewer fashion rules. The window and fuel door tend to be what applies to everyone. But you know, no white walls on 60s and newer, no blue diamond on 60s and newer, no winshield visors on 60s and newer (also applies to plastic ones found on modern truck hoods and side windows, though those are considered secondary offenses and typically not punished). Vehicles 60s and newer lose out on all sorts of fun stuff, like fuzzy dice (another secondary offense)

TR3driver
12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Check out that picture I posted again, and then you will realize that the urgings of the fashion police are entirely lost on me. That smiling kid on your lap is all the "fashion" you need!

emmett1010
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
It would seem the sun in your face, varies considerably depending on your location.
When I'm in Montana, the sun is low in the sky, with few trees to block the glare.
In Mississippi the sun is much more overhead with trees blocking the glare late and early in the day, except on the interstate, which I avoid like the plague.
I always bring a hat, but I only wear it when necessary(seldom).

The wind in a TR3 with the top down is fierce. I fully understand why goggles are often used to keep your eyes moist, and grit free.

Back to the topic. I threw away the visors on my MGB, and ground off the brackets, but I love the wind wings on my TR3!
Emmett

rlwhitetr3b
12-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok, I just finished doing something else that will probably offend the sensitivities of this group. I put snow tires on my daily driver Miata . I would assume that that is worse than having the windows up.

TR3driver
12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Been a few years ago, but I've been known to drive a TR3A with snow chains ... and needed them !

Compared to other cars of the period, though, they actually do very well in snow, as long as it's not too deep. A combination of the good front/rear weight and skinny tires, I guess.

HerronScott
12-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Been a few years ago, but I've been known to drive a TR3A with snow chains ... and needed them !

Compared to other cars of the period, though, they actually do very well in snow, as long as it's not too deep. A combination of the good front/rear weight and skinny tires, I guess.

That was our experience as well with the TR4A and my wife's Spitfire. As long as the snow wasn't too deep, we could go just about anywhere.

The same could not be said when a pair of RX-7's became our daily drivers even though they had about the same weight distribution. Had to be the skinny tires!

Scott

Vaark01
12-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Tim,

I have the sun visors on my TR-3B and really like them. I think they add to the looks of the car and help deflect some wind. I leave them in the up position.

I also have side wind deflectors and think they add to the looks of the car.

Paul

TOC
12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey, I've got studded tyres and chains for my 50 Ford Tudor.....studs on the 50 Pickup now.
I drive the Jag with the freaking windows open.....and gloves, hat......

You couldn't stand upright on the street this morning, so I went to St. Arbux in the P/U.

If I had an XK-140 roaster, it would take me to St. Arbux with no top......

I think there are visors in the Jag....never use them.

Brim of my cap works fine.