PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Quick question... Picture (TR6)

VanHalenMan
09-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Our other Tr6 wont start... my dad isn't here or I'd ask him...
I was just wondering... what are these boxes... the car wont start and one of the boxes is going gunk gunk when I try to start it...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/vanhalenman/TR6Mystery003copy.jpg

VanHalenMan
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I guess I should say, whats the official name so I can order some... there is obviously something wrong with it because yesterday the car started.

09-19-2004, 08:37 PM
What year is the TR6? The wires look as though there is some paint overspray, the colour looking suspiciously like the fender. One looks like the horn relay, the other could be the starter relay, if indeed it is a later TR6 and if that is where they located it. The horn relay would have nothing to do with starting the car. The starter relay would of course. The early TR6s had no starter relay. Check a wiring diagram to match the wire colours and this will tell you what you have. Relays will make funny noises when malfunctioning.

Good luck.

Bill

09-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Too, the cap on top of your clutch master cylinder reservoir is cracked. Might want to check that. Moisture in the fluid is a bad thing.

Bill

jeff3113
09-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Make sure your battery is in good shape.
I experienced a smiliar problem couple years ago. It turned out to be a poor connection of the brown wires that run down to the starter. These were on the passenger-side by the firewall. My 1975 TR6 has a heavy gauge brown wire that runs from the starter up to a connector and then through the firewall. I think it completed the starter circuit(for lack of a better explanation). After taking it apart and cleaning everything worked well.

Good luck
jeff

Trevor Triumph
09-20-2004, 02:05 AM
I agree with jeff. Check the battery terminals to make sure there are clean. It is so easy to overlook such thngs.
What ever grows on the terminals prevents the battery from recharging and won't let what current is in the battery get out, in a manner of speaking. T.T.

VanHalenMan
09-20-2004, 06:59 AM
First off, a wire on the starter came unplugged overnight somehow... she starts.... and that cap you said was cracked, you're right it is cracked, but there is a metal cap UNDER that cap too, so I think all is well... thanks for the heads up however!

Rick O.
09-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Those boxes are relays. Depending on the year of your car, they could be for the (1) horn, (2) hazard flashers, (3) starter, and/or (4) overdrive.

Steven
09-20-2004, 04:47 PM
The plastic cap cover that goes over the real aluminum cap is all that looks cracked in that Clutch Master Cylinder. Check the aluminum cap underneath the plastic one to be sure it's not cracked.