PDA

View Full Version : aluminum spacers

sp53
11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi all I hate to show my ignorance, but does anybody understand if there is a special purpose for those aluminum spacers used on the body tub on a tr3. Are they just shim stock?
steve

TR3driver
11-21-2009, 10:17 PM
They're just spacers. Not exactly what I would call "shim stock" (something like 1/4" thick), but same idea.

sp53
11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I hear you Randal do you think they are installed as needed or are they supposed to be specifically installed. It looks to me like the early models used 4 and the later used 2 only in the front part of the engine bay. What strikes me is that the aluminum disks are so much larger than the area they rest on and that they are slotted to fit on later. Moreover, they range in thickness a little. It is probably no big deal, but to me it looks more like an afterthought as opposed to an engineering design.
Steve

TR3driver
11-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Hard to say just what happened as to why they were used. I agree, the spacer was clearly not designed for this application (the CDxxx part number also indicates it was a "general purpose" part); but that doesn't necessarily make it an afterthought. One of the design guidelines for these cars was to use as many "off the shelf" parts as possible.