PDA

View Full Version : A little Rover P3 mystery

Sherlock
09-15-2004, 07:57 PM
I love a good story...

Browsing through an old British car magazine I picked up on the weekend (Popular Classics, November 1995) found the following interesting letter in the letters section...

"I am writing to tell you of the amazing discovery in Washington, DC, and purchase of a 1948 Rover 75 P3. This is a very rare car in North America; I have only seen one other since selling my 1947 14 HP Sports in Montreal 16 years ago. My new acquisition is even more unusual having been assembled in Calcutta (India), then driven to England and shipped to the USA by its original owner, an Indian doctor.

The car is in incredible shape. ... and there are several non-standard items (or are they Indian improvisations?) around the dash, steering wheel and controls. At some stage the SU fuel pump/Zenith carb problem has been solved by substituting a very neat AC electric pump and wicked-looking twin-choke Rochester carb. This fits the manifold nicely but would look more at home on a V8 Mustang. However the natives fit Webers to Land-Rovers with good results.

I would love to find out more about the car and welcome correspondance from your readers.

The chassis number is 9413099; the licence plate, which I assume is British, is MYB 8550.

Signed...
Patrick G. Hiron"

Did a quick google search of his name came with this webpage of a different "basket case" Rover P3 he acquired/found:

www.theautomobile.ndirect.co.uk/p00_03_70_1.htm (https://www.theautomobile.ndirect.co.uk/p00_03_70_1.htm)

And according to one webpage he still lives in Washington, DC... my local library couldn't find a phone number, anyone ever hear of this guy or see his cars? If anyone lives out that way (Washington, DC), I'd appreciate it if anybody could try to track down a phone number and/or some kind of contact information (I do have his home address as of 1995 if he still lives there, contact me off-line) This guy sounds like an interesting conversation... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rovernut
09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
No mystery at all James................Patrick lives just outside Montreal and his son lives in Mississauga.......Patrick has been a great help to me with my car ........His P3 is still in the midst of a full restoration........He has written a few articles on his restoration trials and tribulations........A credit to all car guys

Bill Robertson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Roger
09-16-2004, 02:58 PM
That's not a British Licence plate number - I suspect Myhore.

Sherlock
09-16-2004, 07:48 PM
... small world

Have you seen his Rover's yet?

Actually there seem to be quite a few Rover P3's around Canada still, there's even a Rover P3 hot rod around Calgary here - haven't been at any shows yet where it has been so far, I have seen pictures and it doesn't look too butchered up from what I've seen.