PDA

View Full Version : Frame-On Restoration???

DonP
09-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Help!

I'm trying to find any articles, websites, books, scrawling on bathroom walls, anything on doing a "frame-on" restoration.

My 3-B frame is really solid with no dents etc. even the floors and rocker panels only have light surface rust and taking the body, which is also very solid, off seems like an unneccessary major effort.

I'm pulling the engine to do a basic rebuild and upgrade with balancing, a head shave and port clean-up perhaps and who knows what else while I have it on the stand. I have to replace the clutch too. Heck, I may even finally rebuild that old O/D unit I bought years ago and have stored in the shed, it depends on how long and cold the winter is and how long I'm cooped up in the garage.

While I have the nose off and the engine bay empty I thought it might be a good time to clean up and fix the mess under the hood (like where I spilled DOT-3 brake fluid by overfilling the reservoir in 1973 (Doh!) and generally degrease and re-spray the bay while I'm at it)

I can find all kinds of books with deatils and personal stories of heroic frame off restorations and tales of truly innovative thinking on how to brace the door jambs and how may people it "really" takes to lift the body off the frame, where the hidden bolts are et. al.

I can't find nuttin' on a "frame-on" restoration! What to do first, what to watch out for how to clean up and paint the frame while the body is in place etc. I know I can't be the first guy doing it this way.

Any leads to articles or websites will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don P.

Mickey Richaud
09-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi, Don -

Don't know if I can answer your question, but I do have something for you to think about:

The rubber pads between the body and the frame. Have you looked at them to see their condition? You might want to lift the body enough to inspect them, and in doing so, you might find rust or other damage you can then take care of. It's also so much easier to replace fuel and brake lines, etc. with the body off. As far as bracing the door jambs, I think that would only be necessary if your rocker panels were weak, or you were replacing them. If you have enough help lifting the body, you should be able to position the folks at each side in front of the rear wheels and behind the front ones to lift it without worrying about the doors openings.

Just depends on how extensive you want to go, without getting carried away and over your head. (But then, isn't that the whole point with these things!?)

Mickey

BRIAN TOWNE
09-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi Don I started to answer your post about two hours ago and actually had to do some work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't you hate it when that happens. What I was going to say before I was so rudely interuped by Mickey ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif) was with what you are planing to do, give it another day, and you will be ready to lift the tub off. There are no secret bolts, what you see is what you remove and as Mickey said you can replace worn spacers, clean and paint the topside of the frame ( and bottom of the tub) and generally get a much better scope of the condition of your car. Trust me ( or Mickey) you will be much happier in the long run. Well worth the minimal amount of time and realy no additional expense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF