PDA

View Full Version : Antique Parking Meters?

MadRiver
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Howdy gang:

Anyone happen to know anything about antique parking meters? I picked up a 1930s vintage Miller parking meter at a flea market this weekend and I'd like to restore it, but it's locked! I could always drill it out, but I'd rather not.

Thanks!

B.

70herald
10-13-2009, 02:00 PM
How about a locksmith that is an important part of their job.

tomshobby
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't that be something to find a 1943 copper penny in it!

BIBBER
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Can just about find a site for anything....thought you'd find this interesting:

Parking Meters (https://www.ionet.net/~luttrell/tips.html)

jessebogan
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Try "Liberty Lock" in Rockville. They are really good. 301 424 LOCK

tony barnhill
10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the find, Bill....is it just the head or did you get the complete stand also?

& thanks for the link, Bibber....I have an antique parking meter also....my grandson likes to put pennies in it to see it work.....& he knows how to open the coin box to retrieve his pennies.

Andrew Mace
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Looks like some great information! But I'm assuming this isn't exactly new text. Witness this quote: <span style="font-style: italic">...But if you think you're up to it, give it a try. Just go slow, and pay attention to how things fit when you take them out. Make sketches or take <span style="text-decoration: underline">Polaroids</span> to help when you go back together....</span>

:smile:

PAUL161
10-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Howdy gang:

Anyone happen to know anything about antique parking meters? I picked up a 1930s vintage Miller parking meter at a flea market this weekend and I'd like to restore it, but it's locked! I could always drill it out, but I'd rather not.

Thanks!

B.

Destroying the lock <span style="font-weight: bold">WILL</span> destroy it's value! Take it to a lock smith.

William
10-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Looks like some great information! But I'm assuming this isn't exactly new text. Witness this quote: <span style="font-style: italic">...But if you think you're up to it, give it a try. Just go slow, and pay attention to how things fit when you take them out. Make sketches or take <span style="text-decoration: underline">Polaroids</span> to help when you go back together....</span>

:smile:

Well it does say that the site was last updated in 2001. And it looks it, too (much as I found it interesting).

-Wm.

MadRiver
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys! I'll certainly take it to a locksmith. The real challenge appears to be finding parts, but I continue to search. My favorite part of the meter is that it takes pennies, nickles and dimes only.