PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhh, I'm starting to enjoy electrical work

tdskip
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Not sure exactly how this happened, but I find myself looking forward to dealing with electrical fixes and even trouble shooting...

For example, I just changed my master light switch on the '74 TR6, and sure I had to get upside down in the driver side foot well to connect everything, but it was a snap. While I was under there I say a couple dodgy connection, so I took care of that and so on. Fun!

Still need to tackle the horn, so plenty of room to decide I rather don't enjoy electrical stuff real soon.

Anyone else enjoying this sort of thing?

mallard
10-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I think you have to much time on your hands.

Andrew Mace
10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
:iagree:

...or a very good chiropractor! :laugh:

DrEntropy
10-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Actually, I'm kinda pleased to learn this! :smirk:

...It's like learnin' to function well even under duress.

Like when astronauts get training onna "Vomit Comet"!!

Well done, TD!!!

Humans can get used to about ANYTHING!! :wink:

JodyFKerr
10-07-2009, 09:49 PM
sure I had to get upside down in the driver side foot well to connect everything

We call that the "Lotus Position."

:smile:

TexasKnucklehead
10-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Do you want to replace my light switch in my 74 TR6? I have a spare switch in the glove box (that checks ok with a meter). Perhaps I'm waiting for a dark raining night when I'm far from home to replace it. When I turn on the lights, I have to flash the high beams a few times before the headlamps actually turn on. I enjoy electrical work too, but only when it's not convenient.

DrEntropy
10-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Geez, Jody!! That's s'posed to be with legs 'n arms straight out for'ard, not downside-up!

Th' head down one is fer settin' valve clearances an' replacin' water pumps!! :jester:

DougF
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Sounds like your light switch is good, but the dimmer switch contacts/connections might need cleaned....or something else is wrong with the it.

TOC
10-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Tool trucks always have the "latest and greatest" gadget.
I always resisted, until I had a chance to ponder the long-term usefulness (like, oh, phosphorescent green handled tools....).
One I bought is an "under-dash creeper".

Hourglasses near the top to clear seat and "A" pillar, pad for the noggin (and sleeping), and a fold-down set of legs on the other end to hold it level while under said dash.

Still use it.

angelfj1
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Tool trucks always have the "latest and greatest" gadget.
I always resisted, until I had a chance to ponder the long-term usefulness (like, oh, phosphorescent green handled tools....).
One I bought is an "under-dash creeper".

Hourglasses near the top to clear seat and "A" pillar, pad for the noggin (and sleeping), and a fold-down set of legs on the other end to hold it level while under said dash.

Still use it.

are you kiddin? I need one of those. got a photo?

ekamm
10-08-2009, 01:05 PM
After working under my dash considered making something similar. Heavy ply board and braced outside the car at the right height. Hadn't thought of a head rest but hey why not. I'm planning some out of sight tunes and that would be great.

tomgt6
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
sure I had to get upside down in the driver side foot well to connect everything

Don't you mean
"Lucas Position"

JodyFKerr
10-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Don't you mean
"Lucas Position"

Only if you're doing it on the side of the road, at night, in the rain. :smile:

Brosky
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Anyone else enjoying this sort of thing?[/QUOTE]

Tom,

Give it time. Like a bad burrito, eventually this feeling too shall pass. :yesnod:

DrEntropy
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I dunno, Paul... I seem to be immune to the effects. Partner would get dizzy to a point of nausea, I'd be like a ferret with a shiny-new toy. Just depends on the guy doin' the deed I s'pose.

Jag E-Types an' Rollies are no challenge, they have most all the 'lectrics accessible on boards with HINGES. :smirk:

Brosky
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Doc,

I guess I'm just too old and too fat to want to go under the dash anymore. Under the hood is OK. I just bought a new 10 fuse ATO block that I'll replace along with my new tail lamp sockets this winter. It's that neck bending stuff that gets to me.

tdskip
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Paul - I think the novelty of actually have some sense of what I'm going is what is making the under the dash stuff not a chore.

On a side note - I wired up the TR8 today so I could bring my Sirius/XM unit so I'll be styling on the event over the weekend!

71MKIV
10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Jeez, go away for a few days and I come back to find you lettin out all my secrets.

Spent 6 years of my life upside down and backwards in airplanes putting new radios and instruments in. Some of them miserable things it was 5 minutes to get from one side of the instrument panel to the other.

These little furrin' cars ain't nuttin. But it is very gratifying to turn the lights on for someone who hadn't a clue how.

Brosky
10-09-2009, 06:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]On a side note - I wired up the TR8 today so I could bring my Sirius/XM unit so I'll be styling on the event over the weekend[/QUOTE]

See what I mean? Now you're getting dangerous. I became a lot more comfortable with the whole electrical process when I learned to become patient enough to solder properly. That makes electrical work go a lot better and my mentor at the time was very fussy about the right and wrong way of doing a harness and that was before heat shrink tubing!!

BobbyD
10-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Ah yes....... the infamous Lotus position! Courtesy of my wife :jester:

https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/ForumImages/FeetUp.JPG

terriphill
10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey..when were you in our garage?

poolboy
10-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm with Paul on that under the dash stuff. And really I feel more comfortable with a wrench than a VOM, but I have been lucky so far in tracking down certain gremlins. Dan Masters makes good reading, that and kind of getting into a zone with no distractions. The last problem I had though, I took my wife's advice. She said sleep on it; it'll come to you. It did.