View Full Version : Wire Wheel Question, Kinda......

10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm moving towards putting tires and tubes on my wire wheels (having it done actually) and the rubber rings I had are history. I seem to remember some BCF talk about using PVC tape in place of the rubber rings. In a call to my local hardware store, they told me that they carried PVC repair tape that was 3/4" in width, 30 yds for $13.00. Is this what I remember being talked about or is there something else I should be looking into?
These are 60 spoke wires for my TR 3A.

Would appreciate any info about the subject!

Thanks, Tinkerman

10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Dick - here's a recent thread on that topic. Includes info on how to put the tape on.



Geo Hahn
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
The tape I picked up at Ace Hardware was much wider than 3/4"... also, it came in either 10 mil or 20 mil. If it were me I'd look for something a bit wider and the thicker gauge if available.

Okay -- I went out to the garage and checked, my roll is 1 7/8" inches wide -- brand name is 'Christy's'. If I were 12 years old it would still be a lifetime supply for me and all my friends (it's a bigggg roll.

10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The roll of PVC tape I got from British Wire Wheel is out in the Lab, and I don't feel up to going out there to look at it, but I seem to recall that it's about 1" wide.

10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I just went thru the same thing with my Daytons
I brought it down to a local tyre shop and they replaced the factory Tape with 1" pvc tape, so far "AOK"

10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Can't find any wider PVC tape in this small town. Even the plumbing wholesaler gave me a real blank look when I stopped by and talked to them about it. The tire guy I use said I would have to provide what ever I wanted him to use. Found something at my local parts store called X-treme tape. About 1.5" wide no adhesive but sticks together with "fusion". Withstands all kinds of upper and lower heat and cold temps. Anyone familiar with it? $9.00 per roll, looks like it might do two wheels. Maybe I should just buy the rubber rings and be done with it!


10-08-2009, 08:05 AM
You can typically buy wide teflon tape from an irrigation supplier. You might google for one or if you have a larger pipe business like a water meter place. Try r and r products online and look under irrigation.

10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Not that this is any recommendation ...

Back when I had my *former* LBC - which wasn't a Triumph - first time I removed the wire wheels to put on new tires, I found nothing more than painter's masking tape inside the rim. It was a might dry and crackly, but it had lasted for well over 25K miles.

Previous owner was even more frugal than me - if that's possible.


10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Hmmm, ever consider cutting old bike tire tubes open? I'm not sure about circimference, but a mountain bike tube like 26x1.95-2.2 would probably do the trick really well. Swing by a local bike shop if possible.