PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Drive Shaft Grease nipple

MGTF1250Dave
10-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Aloha All,

I was greasing and lubricating my TR3A this weekend and discovered that the grease nipple (Zerk) on the drive shaft is missing. The part number is 58392 or alternate 125362 and is the one that fits into the sliding yoke of the drive shaft. I would like to find out what the tread size is. Thanks.

TR3driver
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
A regular 1/4-28 grease zerk will fit and work fine.

MGTF1250Dave
10-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Mahalo Randall, you saved me a bit of disassembly to get in there with a thread gauge. I'm sure I can find one a my FLAPS now I have the thread size.

Geo Hahn
10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If it is the one on the 'slider' (or whatever that section is called) you may want an angled one as it is the dickens to get the gun connected to it. I use a right-angle adaptor but a right-angle zerk would make it easier I think.

If it is on the U-joint then I suggest you get the longest zerk you can find -- you likely will not find the really long one that come with Hardy Spicer U-joints but even at Ace hardware they had some that were slightly longer. The length helps as again, the end of the gun is a tight fit there, especially if greasing via the tunnel hole as the U-joint may be slightly cocked there and not leave much room for the tip of the gun.

MGTF1250Dave
10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Aloha Geo,

It is the one on the slider that I need to replace. You're right that the original zerk is hard to get at with a grease gun so I'll take your advise and try an angles zerk. As far as I know, the only way to get at is through the tunnel access hole. Although I haven't seriously looked at it, it would seem the exhaust pipe and the chassis bracing would prevent greasing it from below the car.

I have found the u-joint zerk has to be either straight up or down in order to get the grease gun on the nipple.

Thanks for the advise.