PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Fuel Pump Question

Stinger
10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I have a non original fuel pump and it looks just like the AC type but doesnt have the primer arm and it is marked made in Canada and was wondering if the current rebuild kits will work on this one. It is currently working but the diaphragm has some cracks in it and Im getting a small amount of seepage. Thanks

Geo Hahn
10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I have one of those 'Made in Canada' among my spares -- have never rebuilt it but it appears to me that it is an faithful repro of the original AC pumps sans the priming lever. So yes, I think it would work with the rebuild kit.

But the pumps with the priming lever come up on eBay often -- if it were me I would get one of those and rebuild it as needed as I find that priming lever handy.

Actually, it was me as an eBay pump w/ lever is what I replaced the Canadian pump with. I bought it assuming it would need rebuilding but I tried it first and it was fine 'as is' and has been in service for years now.

BTW -- on the Canadian pump I have the rod that holds the lever is a press fit and even fell out once. The AC pumps used a mechanical fixture (circlip?) which I think is more secure.

MGTF1250Dave
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I will confirm what Geo said about the press fit rod eventually working loose and most likely falling off the car leaving you stranded. I had it happen twice before I replaced it with an original pump with priming lever. The rebuild kits will fit in the "made in Canada" pump so you can rebuild it. I would recommend replacing the rod with a clevis pin of the correct diameter and long enough too use a cotter pin to secure it in the pump. I did that and now have the "made in Canada" pump as a spare.