PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 heater hose install

newmexTR3
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Years ago I replaced my heater hoses with FLAPS standard hose. It worked well for a bit, but now I noticed that once of the hoses has developed a crimp at the angle where it exits the core that is blocking the thing. (I saw in an older posting that Randall overcame this problem by installing some extra copper tubing at right angles on the core.)

Last time, I removed the heater with the center console in place, but last night I discovered that the job seems like it will be much easier if I remove the center console and have access that way.

I have the new TRF hoses ready to install, but I wanted a sanity check: all i need to do is lower the core a bit so i can get at the top of it. Can I do this by simply loosening the two nuts that hold the core the the mounting bracket? I've circled the location in this pic. Or do i need to remove the whole unit with bracket?
https://media.audibletreats.com/TR/tr-heater.jpg

Thanks guys!

angelfj1
10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
By center console, do you mean the center instrument cluster or the entire dashboard or something else? I don't think that would help as much as loosening the heater frame mountings as shown below and allowing it to drop down a bit. Also, to avoid a big mess, I would disconnect the heater hoses on the engine side of the bulkhead first. Take your garden hose and run some water through the heater core until the discharge runs clear. If you have a compressor run air through the core until you get most of the water out. Then you can disconnect and replace the interior hoses.

newmexTR3
10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
By center console, do you mean the center instrument cluster or the entire dashboard or something else?

Yeah, I meant the center instrument panel. I was looking at the heater through that there last night, and what is not shown in the diagram is the way the core is actually attached to the bracket. I believe it's with two nuts at the top, but I could be mistaken.

angelfj1
10-01-2009, 06:02 PM
This shows how the heater core is mounted to the frame

If you remove these nuts to gain access to the hose ends, it may be hard to get them lined up again.

newmexTR3
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
very true- looks much easier to just take out the whole assembly. Thanks!

Looking forward to a warm knee later this weekend once it's working again. :wink: