PDA

View Full Version : Saturn-What now?

aeronca65t
09-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Penske has backed out of the deal with GM (to buy Saturn)

Wonder that will happen to Saturn now?
--More Info-- (https://investors.penskeautomotive.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=412840)

DNK
09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
The reason he backed out was that GM said it will stop the line.

aerog
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Wonder that will happen to Saturn now?

Already been announced: Saturn is history (https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/nationworld/sns-ap-us-saturn-penske,0,3657895.story).

tony barnhill
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
So, the <span style="font-style: italic">Skye</span> really is falling.

bugimike
10-01-2009, 04:19 AM
hehehe...Chicken Little WAS right after all!!! :laugh:

Brooklands
10-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Too bad...they now had some decent vehicles and a good dealer network. I thought Penske could take them to the next level along with his Smart Car (a dumb car actually) tie-in.

MadRiver
10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
That's a real bummer. My fiancee is from Tennessee, and there's a big plant there. Lot's of jobs.

With both Pontiac and Saturn consigned to history, I wonder what will happen to the Solstice/Sky platform. I've read that they had reliability problems, but I always thought that the Solstice was a cool looking beast.

Mickey Richaud
10-01-2009, 09:52 AM
That's a real bummer. My fiancee is from Tennessee, and there's a big plant there. Lot's of jobs.

Yes, indeed - a HUGE hit to the midstate. The town of Springhill was little more than a dot on the map before Saturn arrived.

Stewart
10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Great now what will the crazy red heads who drive green saturns drive next.

aeronca65t
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
.......With both Pontiac and Saturn consigned to history, I wonder what will happen to the Solstice/Sky platform. I've read that they had reliability problems, but I always thought that the Solstice was a cool looking beast.

Yeah, that (along with the loss of jobs) is one of the things that I feel bad about.

Our Miata is 10 years old (but still perfect). We had talked abut giving it to one of the kids and looking at a new Sky or Solstice.

There is *nothing* else from the US manufacturers like the Solstice/Sky.
I hope this doesn't make the rest of you gasp, but in the long run I was hoping the Corvette would morph onto this platform.

Oh well....maybe the new FIAT/Chrysler connection will bring some interesting cars to North America.

texas_bugeye
10-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a freind who got one of the last Solstice GXP it is a coupe with a 5-6 speed standard trans. really good looking car Instant collector item. The sky and the solstice were just getting off the ground.

ccougill
10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
first pluto and now Saturn. :smile: is Mars next?

tomshobby
10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I owned several Oldsmobiles, several Pontiacs, and now have two Saturns. All very good automobiles.

In order to not cause any further brand shutdowns I promise to buy no more GM vehicles.

Brosky
10-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I worked for Oldsmobile AND Pontiac over the years.

I too promise not to do that again, thereby causing additional plant shut downs.

Of course, Nissan, Cadillac, Ford and Lexus are still doing OK, so I wasn't a total jinx.

tony barnhill
10-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Except for a '55 Chevy convertible &amp; a Buick Skylark, I'm innocent.

DrEntropy
10-02-2009, 06:21 AM
So which one-a youse is responsible fer Hupmobile? :devilgrin:

martx-5
10-02-2009, 06:26 AM
So which one-a youse is responsible fer Hupmobile? :devilgrin:

Wasn't me, I'm only responsible for Simca... :laugh:

DrEntropy
10-02-2009, 06:29 AM
That was a mercy killing, Art. :smirk:

Thank you!

tomshobby
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I worked for a large company once and it was being sold. In a meeting where the employees were being told of the pending sale I asked what the price would be and after being told I suggested that at $14,000 per employee we should buy it ourselves. They all thought it was stupid and felt they were better off accepting their fate. The company has since been closed down.

I still think it would be a smart thing for the workers to buy the company themselves instead of all the whining. This working for the "man" has to end.

Oh, I left that company shortly after the sale and started my own engineering consulting company. Things were much better.