PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Recall

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_floor_mats

Got an E-mail from the dealer yesterday.

How do you shut off a vehicle with a stuck accelerator??? :nonod:

bgbassplyr
09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Tree?

DNK
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Can't you just turn the key

DrEntropy
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
"Serious death or injury"....

:devilgrin:

Banjo
09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm intrested to know what really happened. report says there was a rubber floor mat that was longer than it was supposed to be installed in the wrecked car. the people thought to call 911, but dident think to try and shut the car down, or throw it in nutral, or SOMETHING!? The whole thing seems odd.
I cant tell you how many times I'll see cars come in to the Toyota dealer I work at with literally 3 or 4 floor mats piled on top of each other. there'll be the factory mat, then an all-weather mat, then a cheap plastic mat, topped with a carpet sample...
I think many of the issues are owner induced. the factory mats have nice plastic clips that hold them in place, as do the proper all-weather accessory mats that, in the instructions, specifically require the removal of any other mat before they are installed.
Toyota is a very pro-active company. they always tend to err on the side of safety, and customer satisfaction.
You can shut that engine down any time you need to by turning the key, or pushing and holding the start button, or throw it in nutral and let the motor grenade! it's better than the end result of that story.

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
The floor mats in my 07 corolla are one of the few things I like about the car.

There are 2 little hooks back by the seat that engage eyelets and the rest velcros down very firmly.
Honestly...They are the first mats I've had that DON'T get bunched up in the footwell.

The rest of the car is a mess...Seriously...What a ill handling POS with that very uncomfortable Italian style posture.

I'd trade even up for a new Metro.

14dna
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
You got that right Ben.
I think people get so scared they lose their rational and just panic.
Then it's too late.
Like every situation, the calm guy wins.

Dave :savewave:

DrEntropy
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I think many of the issues are owner induced.

Mehheh... can you say: "Pedal (Audi, circa 1986) Mis-application"?!?!?

If they want ya, they GOT ya.

Why think th' operator was at fault?!?

It wuz TH' CAR wot up-screw'd. How else would anyone get a $ettlement?!?!

...my bad... :devilgrin:

tony barnhill
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Years ago, we had a Mercedes 280SEL....I had the engine steam cleaned & they didn't lubricate anything afterwards.....that evening, my 5th grade daughter, wife & I were out on an interstate in Nashville when the accelerator froze at speed......I yanked the park brake has high as I could & put both feet on the brake until I could bog the engine down enough to turn the ignition off without damaging anything - all the while dodging traffic, blowing horn & listening to yelling wife & crying child!

WhatsThatNoise
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm trying to think of a car made where it is possible to 'drive through' the brakes...

An drum brake 427 cobra???...NOS, going downhill w/ a tailwind?

SilentUnicorn
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
The key will kill an engine just as easy at redline as it will at idle. One click back and the wheel wont lock and you will be able to steer.

m

tony barnhill
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, but there's something about having the engine when everything is power assisted.....kill the engine at65 & try to steer! & in some cases, stop as easily.

terriphill
09-29-2009, 10:45 PM
My mom's Prius doesn't have a key. It has a clicker that you have to have on you and if you are within range, you just push the start button on the dash and it starts. It's a little un-nerving, like I forgot something.

Stewart
09-29-2009, 11:36 PM
My dad Toureg (SP) has the push button start. Its pretty wierd without the key. My moms acura is also keyless but instead of the button you still have a knob that operates the same as a key would and I think thats a better way of doing it. Since the car was a loner he may not of known about holding the button in.

By the way the toureg can be driven without the key fob. I went around the block in my dads toureg after he got out with the key. I figured it would of died at the end of the driveway but all it did way beep in an angry tone at me.

GregW
09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
My mom's Prius doesn't have a key. It has a clicker that you have to have on you and if you are within range, you just push the start button on the dash and it starts.
So if the motor locks on full acceleration, do you throw the clicker out the window? :jester:

martx-5
09-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Yeah, but there's something about having the engine when everything is power assisted.....kill the engine at65 & try to steer! & in some cases, stop as easily.

Today's engines have rev limiters on them, so throw it in neutral (you'll still have power steering and brakes), pull off the road and shut the engine off.

aerog
09-30-2009, 08:12 AM
How do you shut off a vehicle with a stuck accelerator??? :nonod:

Easy - put it in neutral and turn the key off. Had it happen twice with my Explorer years ago. I don't think they were "stock" mats though.

Of course - duh - I hadn't thought about the Prius and others. Seriously, push-button start is the type of feature I avoid but is obviously unavoidable on that car. I much prefer manual transmission, in this situation you'd just put your left foot down and the problem is solved.

texas_bugeye
09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I wonder if this is is her sister? sort of the same solution.
https://www.break.com/index/dumb-woman-locked-in-her-car-911-call.html

Banjo
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
If you have a key, you can turn the engine off at any speed. like was said, it's not advisable as you loose all power assist functions.But, as long as the gear selector is not in "park" your not gonna turn the key far enough to lock the wheel no matter how frantically you turn it off (Federally mandated shift interlock system).
If you have a car with keyless start, or the start button, it can also be turned off at any time by pressing and holding the start button for an extended time (3 to 5 seconds).
Personally I'd choose the throw it in nutral option and let the engine bounce off the rev limiter until I got off the road.
my old beater truck stuck wide open on me a couple of times years ago. Same thing, I bogged it with the brakes till I was on the shoulder, then killed the engine and coasted to a stop.
Read the whole story. the Lexus in the accident was a dealership loaner, And it's suspected that the floor mats were out of a different car. so you match incorrect equipment with people that are unfermiliar with the car, and the media bolws the whole thing to perportions the size of some old lady burning herself with coffee in the drive-through..... maybe it was Toyota's fault they diden't have a cup holder built into the drivers seat...
~note~ I do feel very sorry for the victims of the accident and thier families, my beef is with how the media and the lawyers are handleing it.

tony barnhill
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
There goes the aftermarket floor mat business.

WhatsThatNoise
10-01-2009, 05:48 AM
*click*

Aftermarket...VEHICLE BALLISTIC PARACHUTES :yesnod: