PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Gas Tank Outlet Gas Tank to Body Seal Donut

Renoman
09-27-2009, 04:06 PM
When I removed the gas tank there was a donut shaped seal that looks like it sealed against the gas tank and also against the body. This is where the gas tank outlet tube exits the interior to underneath the car. It appears to seal an possible leaks or vapors from entering inside the vehicle. I repainted the tank and am looking for a similar solution. I also noticed that the tank must have had two outlets, one possibly a drain. The second hole has been brazed but it may come from the factory like that. The hole below that brazed area, if I recall, simply had a rubber plug installed in the body, but it looks like it also had a seal. Maybe these seals are also for padded support. I don't see why since the tank is bolted to the interior brackets. I don't see this part in any catalogs. Any help appreciated.

Tinster
09-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Perhaps this will give you a general idea
of the gas tank area and pads.

Dale(Tinster)

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/pedrosTrunk.jpg

Brosky
09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Dale,

Did you make those "gaskets or pads" and if so, what did you use for material? The blue one looks different from the others.

mrv8q
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
When I removed the gas tank there was a donut shaped seal that looks like it sealed against the gas tank and also against the body. This is where the gas tank outlet tube exits the interior to underneath the car.

When I refurbished my tank, I believe I ordered that seal from TRF...

The second hole has been brazed but it may come from the factory like that.

If I remember correctly, that's for PI cars....

Tinster
09-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Dale,

Did you make those "gaskets or pads" and if so, what did you use for material? The blue one looks different from the others.

<span style="color: #990000">You'll probably laugh. I was fairly certain the gas tank area was
original and Pedro had not messed with it. It was in awful condition.

When I found beat up pads, I tried to duplicate size, texture and thickness.
The white is a 60 mil tri-polymer alloy (TPO) sheet with 60 mil fleece
adhered at the factory. I got some scrap from a local roofer- Brand name
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stevens TPO.</span>Most professional roofing Cos. carry it and have scrap.

Now you'll chuckle. The closest I could find to the tank outlet pad was a
kitchen sponge with that blue or green scrubby side. I cut the diameter
and then razor blade slit to proper thickness. Sharpened a copper pipe end
to punch the center hole. Here in the tropics we learn to be creative with what we've got.

later gator,</span>

Brosky
09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not laughing. That is practical thinking.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Renoman
09-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Well I found some 3M closed cell foam weatherstrip I had around the garage. It's about 1/2" wide and about 3/16" thick. It's self adhesive so I stuck it to the tank and wound about four circles which made the donut about 3/4" thick and 3" in diameter. I did it on two spots of the tank so both holes in the body below the tank were covered. I found the seals on TRF's website after searching awhile. Thanks for the replies.

Art