PDA

View Full Version : found- 1 torn fuel pump diaphragm

charlie74
09-24-2009, 12:23 PM
after about 5 weeks of sitting my fuel pump diaphragm (74 '6) was found to be torn and the sump full of gasoline. pump has been removed and a rebuild kit should be here tomorrow. oil/gas has been drained, but my question is; is it enough just to replace the oil (and filter) and refill (and replace) or does there have to be any flushing of the engine?
thanks in advance
c74

Moseso
09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
If you didn't run it that way, and pump that diluted oil all through the motor, I would think an oil change would be sufficient. Additional things to do might include dropping & cleaning the sump -- or, if you're really worried about it -- do the oil change, run the motor for ten minutes to really circulate the new oil through the motor and then change it again.

Brosky
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
I would follow Moses advice and run it 10 minutes, drain and new oil AND filter. Get a cheapy Fram to do the first change and your usual for the final filter. You could also use a decent oil that is on sale for the flushing and replace with better quality.

NOOOOOOOOO - I did not want to start another oil OR filter debate!!! Just recommending a flush.

charlie74
09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
ok, thanks gents! as an aside, can the mixed fuel/oil be recycled or does it have to be disposed of? reason i ask is that our municipal hazardous waste day is coming up soon.
thanks again.
c74

71MKIV
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Leave the oil in an uncovered pan and the gas will evaporate out and you can safely dispose of the oil as you always do.

Back in the day of big piston driven airplanes that operated in reeeaaallly cold areas, there was a switch on the panel that had a chart, for X temp, push this switch for Y seconds before shutdown. The switch operated a solenoid that dumped raw fuel right in the crankcase to dilute the oil.
Once you got it started the next morning, the heat of the engine and the circulation of the oil would evaporate the fuel out of the oil and you would be on your way. And yes every once in a while things would get interesting. Just part of the way of life.