PDA

View Full Version : MK I / II doors vs MK III

KSIS
09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
As you know I am getting that spit for parts. I know the window regualtors and door latches are different. I wondering if the dimension of the doors themselves are the same.
I would like to either use the entire door and striker assemblies or gut them and place all of it into my doors.
Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Andrew Mace
09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Physically/dimensionally, all Spitfire doors are exactly the same size, from the earliest Spitfire 4 through the last of the 1500s. I don't know about window regulators, but the glass did change with the MkIV, and the latching/actuation of same changed a couple times as well.

tomgt6
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Actually if I remember the door stayed the same size through all years but the skin changed with the mk4. The body lines I believe changes and the handles changed for sure. But I also believe the handles and plates changed somewhere in the mk2 to the same style as the mk3 along with the plates.

Your door will work but you may have to change out handles and plates and maybe drill a new hole in the skin. I believe the mk 1 just had the twist handle and some point it went to the push button handle.

But, Andy is much more knowledgeable then I am and is is the Yoda for a reason so I may be miss understanding what you are asking about.

https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=56 this may help as well.

Andrew Mace
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Your door will work but you may have to change out handles and plates and maybe drill a new hole in the skin. I believe the mk 1 just had the twist handle and some point it went to the push button handle.Right. That change happened early in the Mk2 series (don't remember the exact change point offhand).

HerronScott
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
The original pictures that were posted of this car showed it had the same handles as the Mk III and the commission number appeared to be FC73843 (or something similar).

According to the Spitfire & GT6 website reference page (https://www.triumphspitfire.com/historymk2.html), it looks like they changed to that style door handle adn the newer anti-burst door catch at FC56578 so I would expect this to be the same as the MkIII.

FC56578
new push button door handle, door lock was seperate and provided on the passenger's door, carpet kick pad added to interior door panel, door catch changed to the anti-burst variety

Are you sure the window regulator is different? What year and commission number is your Mk III?

Scott

tomgt6
09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I am not sure but I think the window regulator from a mk1 to mk3 is the same. I don't think you can use the regulator from a GT6. The glass went from round corner glass in the mk3 at some point to square corner glass. I believe that change was in about 68-69? If you look at convert tops you will see the mk3 tops have 2 styles, one for round window and one for square window.

Andrew Mace
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I didn't look up regulators, but the glass change was in 1971 for the MkIV (introduced late in 1970, of course). It would surprise me if the regulator from the GT6 were NOT different, seeing as the GT6 doorglass is shorter due to fitment of a vent window.

tomgt6
09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
I would bet the regulator is the same but the top bar that holds the glass may be shorter on the GT6 since the window is smaller.