PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Brake Master Cylinder Quality - Spitfire MkIV

dklawson
09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
This post is a footnote to my earlier thread concerning my attempt to install a new TRW brake master cylinder in my project car. As soon as I poured fluid in the reservoir it started to drip out from a faulty seal between the reservoir and the metal cylinder.

I contacted the supplier who informed me that they buy direct from TRW. They went on to say that they didn't have "too many problems with them. Only 9 failures out of the 365 master cylinders they've sold over the past year". Nine out of 365 is 2.5% I consider that unacceptable on a safety related component.

I bring this up not to alert you to some looming disaster. The seal that failed on my MC was a static seal. A leak there may ruin your paint but it's not likely to lead to a catastrophic brake failure. However, it is an alarming statement that a 2.5% failure rate on new brake assemblies is somehow acceptable.

I encourage you to report ANY brake component quality problem to the attention of your vendor and ask them to forward the complaint to their supplier. If I hadn't spoken up, my vendor would only know of 8 failures out of 365.

Doug L.

tdskip
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Good post Doug. I know Moss really wants to know about these issues at least.

TR3driver
09-22-2009, 04:06 PM
They went on to say that they didn't have "too many problems with them. That unfortunately seems to be a common reply, whether the facts support the statement or not.

In my case, they told me "No one has ever complained", when I was calling to complain for the second time ...

However, it is disappointing to hear that the current owners of the TRW auto parts label have such low standards. Things haven't been the same since they were broken up and sold.