PDA

View Full Version : Darn woman driver--oh, wait...that's me!

MCNX_BFF
09-22-2009, 01:01 AM
https://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/MCNXBFF/Car%20Run%20Crash/
Hi, Everyone!
What started out as a fantastic car run in the foothills of Mariposa ended like this for me. Apparently, a steel pipe and heavy wire fence was having a bad day and jumped in front of my Spider. :shocked: I tried to avoid it, but realized that wasn't going to happen. So, I did the next best thing and aimed at the wire fencing directly between the pipes knowing (hoping) that I was low enough to clear the header pipe. The wires did a number on my headlights and continued working their magic up the bonnet. Realizing these wires had the potential of breaking or going over my windscreen and then ripping ME to shreds, I ducked my head down as the 7 passed through. Had 2 small cuts from the wires on my scalp that the Docs basically superglued, a goose egg on my forehead from ducking and hitting the steering wheel, a few cuts from the passenger window that shattered, and a goiter-looking hematoma across my neck. All in all, it was a good day as I am fully aware of how much worse this could have been. :angel: :devilgrin:
Now, I will be attending Triumphest as a spectator. I'm calling it therapy and a much needed morale boost. The car?! It will be fixed--thank God for full coverage! DH wants to exterminate this Spider, but you know I won't let that happen! Thanks for reading, be safe, and watch out for suicidal fences! :crazyeyes: --Monica
PS> VBAC guys, you are the greatest! Hugs and kisses to you all--I owe you!

DougF
09-22-2009, 02:54 AM
You're very fortunate. Best thing is that you will be ok.

aeronca65t
09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Wow! Glad it wasn't worse.

That car's very "fixable".
Main thing is: your injuries aren't too bad.

Maybe you need a piano-wire breaker as used on ~WW II Jeeps~ (https://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/fmarron/e6-15-04001.jpg) <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Just kidding! Speedy recovery!

tdskip
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
First of all - we're all <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> glad you are OK and your sense of humor is intact. As as been said she'll live to drive another day.

I have a spare set of headlights for you if you need them.

https://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/MCNXBFF/Car%20Run%20Crash/lightsandbumper.jpg

https://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/MCNXBFF/Car%20Run%20Crash/Headlight.jpg

https://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/MCNXBFF/Car%20Run%20Crash/Carruncrash012.jpg

https://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/MCNXBFF/Car%20Run%20Crash/Carruncrash009.jpg

Gliderman8
09-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Glad to hear that your injuries are not as bad as they could have been!
I have often remarked that I would never want to get involved in any accident with my TR6. I say this after having removed the body tub during my restoration and quite frankly it is not up to today's standards for crash protection. I'm sure my car will fold like a deck of cards...ouch!
Again, glad you are safe... enjoy Triumphfest.

Andrew Mace
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
I have often remarked that I would never want to get involved in any accident with my TR6. I say this after having removed the body tub during my restoration and quite frankly it is not up to today's standards for crash protection. I'm sure my car will fold like a deck of cards...ouch!I'm not that familiar with crashed TR6s.* On the other hand, I'm rather more familiar than I'd like to be with crashed Spitfires. None were mine, thankfully, but I've "studied" several that various friends have had the misfortune to crash and then walk away from! I'm no safety or engineering expert, but I do have those friends with me today, and I'm not so sure they'd have survived in some other cars....

To some degree, you DO want the car to fold like that deck of cards. Of course, what you want to have fold is the front and / or rear ends; you want the passenger compartment to remain intact. What I've seen in those several crashed Spitfires is that the front and rear ends of the car do seem to work like the "crumple zones" that tend to be designed in to modern cars, absorbing the impact while leaving the passenger area intact.

One in particular was a '73 Spitfire 1500, hit from behind (more to the right side) at moderate speed by a full-size Pontiac. The RR corner was shortened well over a foot, the wheel arch was bent into the tire just enough to keep it from turning, and (we discovered later) the entire chassis was actually sprung slightly, even though it was the older style chassis that did not itself extend back beyond the rear axle. Yet both doors could be opened, and both occupants walked away just sore. Later, we did some bashing of that crumpled RR wheel arch to enable the car to be driven around the yard after we bought it back for salvage. We were able to drive it around until the u-joint on the RR axle gave out, also probably due to the impact. But the point is, the rear body very nicely absorbed the impact, and even that right side door not only opened but was virtually undamaged. Most of all, both occupants were fine!

I'll grant you that we benefit more nowadays from much more advanced impact absorption designs, along with all the other safety features, but I really don't feel inherently unsafe in the older Triumphs.

*<span style="font-style: italic">Take a look at the pictures of that salvage TR6 Mickey posted about. Another moderately severe (frontal) impact, but it certainly appears that the passenger compartment is very much intact.</span>

Gliderman8
09-22-2009, 11:21 AM
[quote=Andrew Mace
*<span style="font-style: italic">Take a look at the pictures of that salvage TR6 Mickey posted about. Another moderately severe (frontal) impact, but it certainly appears that the passenger compartment is very much intact.</span> [/quote]

I did see the salvaged TR6 that was posted. I wonder what it hit (or what hit it) and how fast it was going to cause the damage it did. Obviously todays SUV's will probably just go over the top of any TR6 or Spitfire for that matter.
Sure, crumple zones are good at absorbing energy; I just don't want to be in "that zone" :eeek:

Andrew Mace
09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Obviously todays SUV's will probably just go over the top of any TR6 or Spitfire for that matter.
Sure, crumple zones are good at absorbing energy; I just don't want to be in "that zone" :eeek: I <span style="font-weight: bold">hear</span> you! Seems ironic that some European safety standards have resulted in more pedestrian-impact-friendly (?) front ends on cars. Meanwhile, as some big trucks get lower front bumpers, many of today's larger SUVs and pickup seem to be getting higher and higher front ends and front bumpers (and headlights, which <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span> bothers me at night). Makes me laugh when I think of the early 1970s, when TR6s and other cars often had to be raised up in front to meet <span style="font-style: italic">minimum</span> headlight height; I kinda wish someone would impose a <span style="font-style: italic">maximum</span> headlight height!

Gliderman8
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
You are spot on Andy... the new vehicle heights are way too high in my estimation. Trucks with step ladders built in... the sad fact is that you probably actually need them!
My only point is that the small cars we love and drive don't offer much protection (in my oppinion) against todays behemoth cars and trucks.
I'd rather take my chances in my TR6 against a Fiat 500 any day :jester:

rlwhitetr3b
09-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought there was/is a maximum height on cars. I think it was the bumpers not headlights, and it might have been an Illinois thing.

I remember some of my friends, in my youth, were worried about a cop taking a tape measure to their jacked up cars.

HerronScott
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Glad to hear that your injuries are not as bad as they could have been!
I have often remarked that I would never want to get involved in any accident with my TR6. I say this after having removed the body tub during my restoration and quite frankly it is not up to today's standards for crash protection. I'm sure my car will fold like a deck of cards...ouch!
Again, glad you are safe... enjoy Triumphfest.

Elliot,

Hopefully, you never have to experience any kind of accident with your TR6 but they do appear to hold up better than you would expect. I have a friend who was rear-ended in his restored 1969 TR6 (beautiful car) at a stop light by one of the big Coke delivery trucks doing 45. There wasn't any evidence that the driver had put on his brakes at all (early morning fog). My friend walked away without a scratch although he was unbelievably sore for weeks afterward. The same could not be said for his poor car which had the rear end lifted and pushed almost up to the back of the gas tank.

Scott

Gliderman8
09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Scott. That is reassuring to know about your friend.
It has made it 36 years with any major accidents, so I just need to be vigilant and look out for the other guy!

Dale
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Add my Thank Goodness you weren't more seriously injured. Glad too, that your beautiful Spyder is fixable.

John_Mc
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, your "MCNX_BFF" license plate and your signature are more true than ever! Glad you're okay. :savewave:

tdskip
09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Monica - there are several TR7 parts up on eBay now from a guy in Pomona. Here is the listing for an apron, it is eBay #170386049670. You'll see a nice hood and other items as well if you need them.

MCNX_BFF
09-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone! While I would NEVER wish this on anybody, it does chupe that it happened to me. :frown:
The 7 will be inspected by a field inspector today or tomorrow. Hope it goes well. Based on NADAguides, my car is valued: Low-$6,050 Avg.--$9,650 High--$14,400
I was unable to use Edmunds or KBB as they do not cover older cars and/or Triumphs on the websites. Any othes you reccommend? We'll see what transpires, but I have my boxing gloves set aside just in case the #s are ridiculous.
TDSkip, you are a doll!!! I am pretty sure I will need those lights. Can you give me 'till this weekend to figure out what is going on? I will PM you sooner as soon as I know how this is all going to play out. Thank you so much! --Monica

tdskip
09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
No rush Monica - I'll have them for you.

swift6
09-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Based on NADAguides, my car is valued: Low-$6,050 Avg.--$9,650 High--$14,400
I was unable to use Edmunds or KBB as they do not cover older cars and/or Triumphs on the websites. Any othes you reccommend? --Monica

If you can get away with using those numbers then by all means DO! Those are well beyond what the actual sale prices of TR7's, including the Spider's, have ever brought. Any other valuation guide will probably be lower.