PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Control Head Wiring

mountainman
09-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I have been trying to feed the control head wiring down the stator tube for two days now. The head of my stator tube about 3" down inside has a burr or something that is catching on the cloth covering. I have tried grinding if off with my dremel tool with no luck it still hangs up. This is not going to be a concors car. So my Question is can I remove the cloth covering from the wire? I have already cut the bullet connects off and will reconnect after it's through. I will tape the wires at about 6" intervals. What is the covering purpose?
Thanks
Greg

TR3driver
09-19-2009, 06:52 AM
The covering just protects the wires, so yeah, I guess you could cut it off.

But IMO that would be a last resort, as having one of those wires rub through and short would be unpleasant.

First of all, I would remove the tube from the car, so you can see any burrs and deal with them. Then arrange something to pull the wires through the tube (rather than push) and use some pulling lubricant.
https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...27X-_-100647746 (https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100647746&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100647746&ci_src=14110944 &cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100647746)

mountainman
09-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Randall, I have the tube out and tried grinding, but very hard to reach. I have also tried pulling and lubricanting. Does the wire turn inside the stator tube?
Greg

TR3driver
09-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Does the wire turn inside the stator tube?No, they are both supposed to not turn. Might be a little movement, but can't be much unless the tube comes loose in the gland, or breaks or something.

mountainman
09-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok, thanks I am going to give it a couple more tries and then off goes the covering.
Greg

Don Elliott
09-19-2009, 08:01 AM
If you get a long wire - sort of like a coat hanger and straighten it out, you can slide this wire throught the stator tube, tape the harness wires to the pull wire and just pull it all through.

mountainman
09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Don I tried the wire thing with no luck. The cloth covering gets caught and won't let the thing move. What do you think about removing it?
Thanks
Greg

AweMan
09-19-2009, 12:43 PM
mountainman:
Just an idea, but ... How about trying one layer of electrical tape over the cloth? Or maybe even some shrink tubing would do the trick. I agree with the Randall, a direct short would not be a pleasant experience to say the least.

martx-5
09-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Do you have a small rat-tail file to get down into that burr that's causing all this grief?? Run a small round (rat-tail) file down in there and you should be able to get rid of the burr.

NickMorgan
09-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Have you tried pulling the wire up from the bottom?

sp53
09-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Yea pulling the wirers through on a old/ good one is difficult. I have found that the aftermarket wire cloth is bigger and binds also. I have an old stock one and you can see the difference in the cloth. To pull an aftermarket cloth through, I would cut off a couple of the leads and tie wire everything back in steps with a small fish wire and then pull it from the bottom. Actually tie and wrap it around the cloth some. You need a good quality light weight wirer that you can tie tight and plus fit it in the hole with some flexibility.
steve

PeterK
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
The control head harness from britishwiring.com is a special mall diameter made to easily fit through the stator tube. Mine just slid through as I fed it with my fingers. Not what you wanted to hear but this was the right decision for me at least.