PDA

View Full Version : hood respray part 2

hondo402000
09-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Well as usual when you start one thing it opens up pandoras box. Well now that I got the underside of the bonnet finished, and did the great stuff foam screw up, and started leveling out the top side I had some second thoughts about the huge metal patch on the front and if I really wanted to put that much plastic filler on the bonnet so I did an ebay search and low and behold for sale NOS TR6 hoods found in a warehouse 30 years old but new, one minor ding, so I bought one today. So you say, well if you hadnt of used that foam crap you would be done, but was it in the cards that it happend for a reason and just at the same time a NOS 30 year old original hood shows up on ebay and 3 years after you purchased the car? Scary or coincident or karma. You decide. Now for the pandoras box, the front had a rust hole so I decided that while waiting on the hood I would sand the front and repair and repaint it, so far a few more holes but no major dents to repair and yes pics will be showing up, all the paint is off but I couldnt find my fiberglass mat to back up the holes so I stopped for the night.

Hondo

Andrew Mace
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
<span style="font-style: italic">How long before he starts asking questions like "what's the correct finish for the inside of the alternator?"</span> :devilgrin:

tdskip
09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Good for you Hondo - psyched you found the hood. Repeat after me - no more expanding foam. Ever.

hondo402000
09-22-2009, 06:00 AM
well after painting the valance this weekend, I noticed that the paint I used was off So I dug back thru the notes from the previous owners and 2 owners ago like 1998 it was painted a 1986 honda color, victoria red, so thats what I bought but the shade is noticibly off, so I dug somemore and the guy I bought the car from listed on the bill of sale 1971 triumph Signal red, so off we go back to the paint store and they finally dug up a code and paint chip for signal red. the paint store let me borrow the paint chip book and it looks like its much closer to signal red and one more color on the chart so I am going to see if the paint store can mix some samples for me to spray a test to confirm. Now the not so good news, the paint guys say even if I match the color that over time the paint will change a few shades so in a year or so it might not match, so now I might be faced with a complete re spray, The paint is in really good shape but it does have a few nicks and scratches and some waves that could be fixed and rust spots where the front bumper attaches on the fenders. Hice the delima, respray the valance and hood when it comes in or just do the whole car

Hondo

tdskip
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Tough one. I've found myself being really drawn to cars with original, even if flawed, paint. I'd lean towards fixing the rust spots, live with the waves if original paint there and touching up the nicks. She's only original once.

On the other hand, if you've already painted the hood and the color is going to off (and highly noticeable as a result) then you are kind of committed at this point to do the whole car, no?

hondo402000
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
well the paint is not original, it has been painted at least 3 time so no point in worrying about original.

tdskip
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry, I misread your post.

rlwhitetr3b
09-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Can auto paint be computer matched like house paint?

Maybe you could take them a fender or door to match. :banana:

hondo402000
09-22-2009, 01:26 PM
yes they have the technology to do that but then if you need to purchase more paint for repairing a spot its a little more difficult to get a match since it will not be a specific color code so I might just bit it and repaint the whole car, might take me a month to get it ready but I dont have to drive it

Hondo

hondo402000
09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
well I cant change the topic so a full recoat is ON, since there is approximately 5 top coats and 5 primer layers I couldnt just put another top coat on, So she is comming back to naked metal and start all over. Front left fender was taken down to metal tonight, only one small spot of bondo, thank god, but I am sure I will pay for it somewhere else. Primed and done for the night, I will be in the process of choosing a red, Only problem is looking at paint chips that are 1 inch square is no way to choose a paint, so if I want to spray a test sheet its 45 bucks for a half pint, Fricking red is the most expensive paint except for a honda blue with lots of pearl in it . the paint guy says I should look at some red cars on lots and if I like the color give him the car and year and he can make it, that is if its fairly new and not repainted, not sure if I will go back with a TR color or not

Hondo

tdskip
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Keep us posted on your color choice and how the work progresses.

hondo402000
09-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Can do, I figure if I can finish a pannel in a couple of days and the weather is nice on the weekends I should be ready for paint in a month

DrEntropy
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
AR-501!!

Alfa Red. :devilgrin:

rlwhitetr3b
09-23-2009, 08:27 AM
How did you strip the paint, mechanical or chemical?

hondo402000
09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
current method of paint removal is a dewalt grinder with a 4 inch SS wire wheel, I took the paint off that was at least 1/16 of an inch thick total off each front fender in 1 hour each right front has some dents around the front head light area. But still no holes. I also found by removing the securing bolts at the bottom of the fender near the door on the RF, lots of debris, a couple of screws were holding the pannel from seating properly, so fixed that. I am a little worried about stripping the doors could be a little more work. I have not taken pics of the progress yet but really what do you guys want to see? bare metal, a little bondo, primed pannels? it could be more pics than the forum can handle

HOndo

rlwhitetr3b
09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Hondo,
I used to call the '64 4 door Chevelle that I drove in high school and college Hondo. It got that name because it was half bondo. :jester: