PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6 on Bring a Trailer

tdskip
09-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Looks like a deal actually. I will not buy it, I will not buy it...

https://bringatrailer.com/2009/09/16/bat-exclusive-68-triumph-spitfire-gt6-project/

DNK
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Why is it called a Spitfire GT6 Project?

tdskip
09-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Lack of familiarity by the BAT guys, or maybe they are assuming no one else would know what is up.

billspit
09-17-2009, 11:25 AM

As he said.

Plus more hits on a Google search. They made a lot more Spits than GT6s. And we all know the GT6 is just a hardtop Spitfire with the right engine.

Andrew Mace
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
...and, as someone finally noted under the comments, the car is a '69 GT6+, not a '68.

UmmYeahOk
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
spitfire roadster? I thought roadsters were convertibles, and to be more acurate, convertibles that never converted (had no top)

And I realized that it was the 70s, but why paint a RED car BROWN. If t were an original color, it wouldnt be bad. Brown is coming back in style. But to paint an original red brown, well, thats a resellers nightmare.

And california car since 74... ...why is this a selling point? CA has humidity, salt water, and snow. Also, where was it the first 6 years? Up north? My car has been in AZ since 67, and since 07, TX... ...THATS a selling point. I will never understand why people seek out the CA cars.

Not saying its not a bad deal, the price is right, still, just things Ive noticed.

As he said.

Plus more hits on a Google search. They made a lot more Spits than GT6s. And we all know the GT6 is just a hardtop Spitfire with the right engine.

Pretty smart... ...people looking for a spitfire may be interested in this. I would just mention the heritage involved. Get my keywords in that way, rather than look like an idiot

...and, as someone finally noted under the comments, the car is a '69 GT6+, not a '68. Maybe it was built in 68 as a 69 model?

tdskip
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
And california car since 74... ...why is this a selling point? CA has humidity, salt water, and snow. Also, where was it the first 6 years? Up north? My car has been in AZ since 67, and since 07, TX... ...THATS a selling point. I will never understand why people seek out the CA cars.

Well, Cal is a big state with an amazingly diverse climate. If you are looking at a SoCal inland car I'd think you'd have a hard time finding a better place to buy a car. It also has a lot to do with the life the car lived, I've seen lousy cars from New Mexico and great cars from upper NY State.

The sheer size of the Cal market also makes it a great place to look. I have friends from back East who email me daily with stuff they find here that have long-long since rotted away elsewhere in the country.

And it's not like all of Texas is humidity free...

TR4nut
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
And it's not like all of Texas is humidity free...

Okay, rub it in why don't you Tom? :smile:

tdskip
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Okay, rub it in why don't you Tom? :smile:

There, there Randy. Don't take it personally. If it makes you feel better we make up for it with earthquakes...

And, this was a Cal car.

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/tdskip_photos/Bugeye/Bugeyecockpitfloors9-13-093.jpg

Andrew Mace
09-17-2009, 01:19 PM
...and, as someone finally noted under the comments, the car is a '69 GT6+, not a '68. Maybe it was built in 68 as a 69 model? I suspect that's the situation. But cars are usually (and best) referred to by model years, which were rather more rigidly defined after the advent of Federal safety and emissions regulations. (Not like "the old days," when a "leftover" car could be sold as the current model year.)

mikecyc72usa
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I had a 1970 in this color and it was the factory paint. It was crazy fast. Then I had a 1969 with wire wheels and overdrive that was white (and assembled on April 1st!) which had documented history since new. I was the third owner back in 1996. Interestingly, the inside of the hood had red paint below white. Found it by throwing a fan belt really hard. Thought it was the belt, so I sanded a foot away for kicks and got red paint under several coats of white. Like I said on BAT, maybe they were using red as some sort of base to use up old paint? Not sure. If the hood was replaced on my car, it was done before it was sold. A guy in my Triumph club at the time was the salesman who sold it new, another guy owned it in the club, his son sold it to me. I think it's in Kentucky somewhere now. If the guy who bought it and my brown one didn't flip it yet like he did with my 1970.

DNK
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Tom- The reason your car floor looked like that was the previous owner was a surfer who NEVER wiped his feet after boarding.

Andrew Mace
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Then I had a 1969 with wire wheels and overdrive that was white (and assembled on April 1st!) which had documented history since new.I believe the April 1 date you mention referred to the car meeting some Federal standard(s) as of that date, rather than it being a build date. Many, many TR250s, for example, have that same date on their commisison number plates, but they weren't all built on 4/1/68. The British tend to have a wonderful sense of humour, but.... :wink:

I was the third owner back in 1996. Interestingly, the inside of the hood had red paint below white. Found it by throwing a fan belt really hard. Thought it was the belt, so I sanded a foot away for kicks and got red paint under several coats of white. Like I said on BAT, maybe they were using red as some sort of base to use up old paint?Most Triumphs of that vintage seem to have used a very reddish primer underneath most all colors of topcoat, and that same very reddish primer for years "protected" all factory replacement panels sold. It's likely that primer you saw, rather than a resprayed Signal Red bonnet.

UmmYeahOk
09-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Most Triumphs of that vintage seem to have used a very reddish primer underneath most all colors of topcoat, and that same very reddish primer for years "protected" all factory replacement panels sold. It's likely that primer you saw, rather than a resprayed Signal Red bonnet.

Ive noticed the same on my car. I wasnt too sure because I knew the car had been resprayed already once, and my engine block was red. It seems that the inside on my roof is that color, as well as the area on my hatch thats chipping away. I couldnt imagine them using that red rust proof primer back in the day, so I assumed it may have been painted red, then sanded very heavily but not completely bare metal before it was painted white.

tdskip
09-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Tom- The reason your car floor looked like that was the previous owner was a surfer who NEVER wiped his feet after boarding.

LOL Don.

tomgt6
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Here is a good price on a gt6 in Michigan. Great parts car at least. If I was closer I would buy it.
https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/1368193646.html

Andrew Mace
09-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Hitch up that trailer, Tom, and get yourself on the road! :wink:

TonyPanchot
09-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I am looking for a new hole to toss some bucks

think I will give it a shot

tdskip
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I am looking for a new hole to toss some bucks

think I will give it a shot

Did your fire go out making it impossible to burn the money, so now looking for a hole to consume the money? I had to do something similar when the windows got locked in the full up position so I couldn't just throw it out the window...

Amazing how we all double down, eh?

Good luck with it!

Rob_T
09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I bought the car yesterday, and am hiding it at my brother in law's shop. The engine runs well and no rust in the floorboards. I need to check out the hydraulics still, at the very least a flush and bleed are needed. It looks to be a good driver with a little work!

Cheers,

Rob

TonyPanchot
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Guess I will inquire on the Northern 6

Feeling great today

STL all BRIT show won 1ST IN CLASS

Now I can retire the 250

tdskip
09-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I bought the car yesterday, and am hiding it at my brother in law's shop. The engine runs well and no rust in the floorboards. I need to check out the hydraulics still, at the very least a flush and bleed are needed. It looks to be a good driver with a little work!

Cheers,

Rob

Good for your Rob. Looks like a heck of a deal.

Rob_T
09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Kinda like the man who fell out of the skyscraper window..... every floor he was heard to say " so far so good".
Seriously though, I haven't dug into it too far but it is a solid car, and I'm hoping that means I'll be driving it soon.

Thanks,

angelfj1
09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Most Triumphs of that vintage seem to have used a very reddish primer underneath most all colors of topcoat, and that same very reddish primer for years "protected" all factory replacement panels sold. It's likely that primer you saw, rather than a resprayed Signal Red bonnet.

Red lead perhaps? This was very common until we became aware of the effects of leas poisoning. Be careful! :nonono:

UmmYeahOk
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
All I know is my parents lived with lead paint, and their parents, and their parents... ...to my knowledge, no one in my family has died of lead poisoning. Remove lead from the world, and we will all STILL die of heart disease. If not that, then from being a giant sissy. That will be the end of my generation and the next... ...being a giant sissy.

My moms all about not drinking from certain plastic and reusing plastic bottles because you apparently can get cancer from that too. Apparently all her bottled water is ok because its fresh. Im all explaining how hot it gets in the truck before she buys it.

We live in a world where everythings padded, everyone carries purel with them, playgrounds are not only plastic, but the ground is rubber so the kids dont scrape their knees, and the entire play area is tarped so they wont get sunburned, because we all know how much kids today play outside, and how quickly one can develop skin cancer. Oh, and BTW, this isnt just one playground, its all of them around here. Even the ones I grew up with have been remodeled.

tdskip
09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Red lead perhaps? This was very common until we became aware of the effects of leas poisoning. Be careful! :nonono:

Good reminder Frank - thanks.

Silverghost
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
This just in - top scientists around the world all agree - life leads to death. More news at 11.

UmmYeahOk
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Bump for pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slolouie/sets/72157622414119920/
https://www.totallytriumph.net/dcforum/DCForumID25/84.shtml

tdskip
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2568/3936234968_649225eb46.jpg

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/3936234386_d5479f6b6e.jpg

tdskip
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Super buy - well done.