PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3B Speedometer Cable

Vaark01
09-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I had my speedometer rebuilt and a Type A OD unit installed in my TR-3B (TCF486L).

I now need to install the cable. I ordered one, along with the angle drive from Moss.

I would appreciate any advice you can give on how to correctly install the cable and angle drive.

Thanks.

Paul

Moseso
09-15-2009, 09:44 PM
A TR2, or 3, or A, or B doesn't need an angle drive.

This (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/382022/gonew/1#UNREAD) is an explanation of how it works.

Geo Hahn
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Or, if angle drive is used, I think the cable would be the same as used on the non-OD box... i.e., either an angle drive or a longer cable but not both.

TR4nut
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Or, if angle drive is used, I think the cable would be the same as used on the non-OD box... i.e., either an angle drive or a longer cable but not both.

Geo-

I'm not sure I agree with that one - the overdrive cable, with or without a right angle, would route on the passenger side, but a non-overdrive would go straight from the drivers side - quite a few inches of difference there.

Randy

TR3driver
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
However, on the non-OD application, the cable has to make a big curve to come into the drive gear at a right angle to the centerline; which just about makes up for crossing the gearbox.

I'm kind of dubious about the angle drive on a TR3 anyway; seems to me it will wind up pointing into the passenger compartment without a boot to cover the cable. Besides, it's expensive and a weak point (guess what breaks first if the cable or speedo head goes bad). I prefer the factory setup.

Vaark01
09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advice. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sure wish it was as simple as installing a new tach cable.

Paul

Vaark01
09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Forgot to ask if you have a picture of where the cable is connected to the transmision.

Thanks.

Paul