PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 valve cover ???

Stinky
09-08-2004, 09:09 PM
My 71' TR6 has the stock valve cover on it. It looks like it's been overtightened a time or two. It is really in great shape,...but it does leak a little bit, and like I said it appears to have been over tightened a bit, so it's a little "Sunken in" where the 3 nuts are.
Should I try to straighten it out as best I can, and hope the leaks go away? Or should I get one of the Alloy covers that are out there?
If I was to go with an Alloy,...which one, if any of them is the best?
Personally I like the look of the alloy covers.

tia,
Stinker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul Johnson
09-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Also had a squished cover, and while not being one who likes to change original, went with a cast aluminum cover just to stop the leaks. Was very surprised at how quiet the valve train was with it on. Used a black one with no goofy logos on it - Victoria I believe.

vagt6
09-09-2004, 09:40 AM
You may be able to straighten the warped edges out. Take the cover off and place it on a very hard, flat surface. Then, take a small block of wood that fits on the egdes of the cover and hammer the warped spots flat.

But be carful, it's easy to ruin the cover if you flatten out the flanges. This also works on warped oil pans as well.

I hope it works for you, please let us know how it goes!

Stinky
09-09-2004, 12:07 PM
I think I'll pick up one of the finned alloy covers. I will hang on to the stock cover, I can fool with it in my spare time.
Thanks!