PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3 wiper motor mounting rubber installation?

Tinkerman
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Can anybody tell me how I should go about getting those mounting grommets into the mounting plate? I just had a bit of a go at it with no luck at all. I tried Lithium grease it just seems too thick and too small a hole. If others have made it work then I'll just keep after it. The mounting kit came from TRF FWIW.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Tinkerman

emmett1010
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
They are very small holes indeed!
I used silicon spray for a lubricant. It won't melt the rubber like oil based lubricants.
It's still a pta--
Emmett
PS- they WILL go in the holes

martx-5
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
It is not an easy job as I remember it. I used some slick lube that we use at work when assembling the calipers. It's similar to silicon lube. I remember using a screwdriver to help force it in after I got the first edge started. Working both sides, sort of a push pull helps. It's a fight, but can be done. Once you get the first one in, the next two seem to go a little easier.

This is just another rite of passage when restoring TR's. :smile:

Don Elliott
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
They may rot about 50 years from now, but pleased feel re-assured. Once you force them into the holes and screw it all down, they will never fall out.

Tinkerman
09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks, as long as it can be done I will forge ahead and thanks for the encouraging words Don, heh.