PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A lining tr3 drive train

sp53
09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi all does any body have a way of placing the drive train in line after an off body restoration. I ask this because mine looks like it has a kink in it at the universal joint. Basically, it looks like the drive line is off to one side a little at the rear end. It seems to me that everything is bolted in a fixed position and lining things would be difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

TR3driver
09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
If memory serves, it's actually supposed to be that way. The differential pinion isn't in the center of the car, but the engine crankshaft is.

But the things to check would be that the frame is straight (diagonal measurements in the manual) and that the rear axle is located properly.

I've had the main leaf of the rear springs break right at the center bolt, which can allow the axle to move around.

sp53
09-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks Randal for your note. The frame is straight and the springs are good and bolted in the proper spot. I guess that it is supposed to be like that. I had a machinist friend over and he spotted it right away. I saw it awhile back but went into denial. Want is kinda funny is he saw a guy selling tr3 parts out on his lawn and came over told me about it. I bought a nice hood, two aprons (one crappy and one ok) plus a complete rear axle for 250.00. Anyways thanks for knowing about the problem because it was making me worry.
Steve

Don Elliott
09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
You can see from this photo that the input to the diff is off center.

sp53
09-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Don thank you so much for that picture; it shows the brake lines and hold downs perfectly. I really needed that. Don are those metal tie downs from Moss or TRF? They look totally stock. I bought three from Moss last month and they are smaller and thinner than the originals, but they would work. However, I still think they are too thin and do not wrap around enough. I do have some old ones that I could class bead and perhaps I will do that.
Steve