PDA

View Full Version : GT6 Clear or Orange Lens - GT6 Question

UmmYeahOk
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I have found a local period correct hood for my gt6 and noticed that it had clear parking lenses. I had always though that the inner was white and the outer was orange. It looks a bit odd. Whats up with the difference? was it on earlier mk1s, or later? If I get this hood, I wanna change to orange (since the outer dont match anyway), but was still interested in the reason behind the two colors. victoria british sells both colors

https://www.triumphowners.com/uploaded/34/1288-1288-111014_32dscf0850_THUMB_1.jpg
https://www.triumphowners.com/uploaded/34/17-17-111014_65triumph_gt1.jpg

Also I have an original lucas style door mirror. Did they never make a passenger side one? I would like mirrors on both sides, but all I see on the market are non lucas ones which arent as nice IMO.

DougF
09-07-2009, 11:22 PM
My guess is the year change. 1968 was a big year for governmental mandates to the automotive industry. It was the first year for pollution control among other things. The larger clear lenses were probably a safety issue.

TOC
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the Feds mandated all sorts of stuff, like seat belts, side markers (or park/tail that extended out enough to be seen) and orange t/s front VS white.

TR_Jim
09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Yes, it was a safety issue for the US market, but I don't think the larger amber lenses were used on the GT6. They were used on the TR250, but are interchangeable.

That's my car you have posted (the second one) and it does have amber bulbs.

UmmYeahOk
09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, it was a safety issue for the US market, but I don't think the larger amber lenses were used on the GT6. They were used on the TR250, but are interchangeable.

That's my car you have posted (the second one) and it does have amber bulbs.

Hope you dont mind then (some people do)

Anyway, being a 67 US model, what should my car have come with? I like the orange, but clear just looks like something aftermarket. Being familiar with 80s cars and newer, clear lens is something people upgrade to. Very few cars can pull off the look. I have one that did, and had one that couldnt.

I dunno. I just want peoples opinions

TR_Jim
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
No. I don't mind. It's cool!

Though always registered as a '68, mine is also an early '67. With the number KC7016, and a single line braking system, it was built before August 1967. My opinion...the large, clear lens is correct.

71MKIV
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I love the garage in the first photo,

My workbench goes on the same theory,

"it doesn't matter how big the bench is, in time, all you will have is the 6 square inches in front of you."

Personal preference,

White lenses. Yellow bulb to cover the legal eagle stuff.

tomshobby
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
My '67 had clear lenses when new.

tomgt6
09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
This site normally has the changes but I don't see it. https://triumphspitfire.com/historyG1.html

If I remember at some time the spitfire went from clear to amber. I can't seem to find anything on that either. I say put on the clear if you have them. I think it looks ok with the amber though.

Andrew Mace
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
My opinion...the large, clear lens is correct. :iagree: Note that the one picture above -- of "PFD666F" -- is also correct, as a home market car. Meanwhile, the larger, clear plastic turn signal lens came in originally with the Spitfire in the US market around the 1964 model year, and those same lamps were carried over on the GT6 through 1968. (Note that the Spitfire was one model year ahead with the "styling" changes, including the raised bumpers and the different side lamps that happen to be similar to the ones on your car as you got it, and I've seen both clear/clear and clear/amber versions on US-spec. 1968 Spitfires over the years. By 1969, the two-part lens was amber/amber on the Mk3 Spitfire in the US.)