PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Poly bushings for Spitfire

Norton47
09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
hello
I am back to working on the 75 Spitfire. Decided to do the front bushings due to age while I have the engine out. They seemed tight when I drove it, but I see some deterioration on the edges and with the cars age, I thought it would be best to replace them.

I did a search on poly bushings and did not find an answer for what I really want to know.

Who has installed poly bushes for a Spitfire and where did they purchase them from? Please PM me with vendor names.

Also what vendors have good hard rubber bushes?

Anyone from Washington, Oregon, North Cal going to SLO for the rally?
I am thinking of driving the 6 down, leave from Tacoma, Wa and take 2 days down and depart back on Sunday.

tdskip
09-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I installed poly sway bar links on my Spit when I had her after the rubber ones started failing after a short time. My personal opinion, but especially living in SoCal I'd never put regular rubber bushings back in both for the handling benefits and longevity concerns. As they say YMMV.

Let us know what you decide to do!

guzzul
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I have replaced both sway-bar and a-arm bushes with poly. I got mine from BP Northwest in Oregon (also a supporting vendor of BCF). They sell a kit for the a-arms (8 bushes) and also for the sway bar (2 bushes).

They are a breeze to install on the suspension arms. The sway bar (I guess anti-sway bar) bushes are difficult to get on around the bends, but I read a tip somewhere in this forum about soaking them for a few minutes in hot water to soften before installation. Worked like a charm.

mikecyc72usa
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Did any of you guys use any type of lube for poly bushing installation? I'm about to put some on my 78 Spitfire but want to make sure I do it the right way. Thanks.

guzzul
09-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Did any of you guys use any type of lube for poly bushing installation? I didn't use any lube on the sway bar bushes (just the hot-water trick noted above).

I smeared a very light coat of Red Lube (brake stuff, may be called RubberLube or something like that) on the outside of the poly bush before installing them in the suspension arms. I don't think you really need anything, the poly presses in quite easily, but I have read that they sometimes squeak, so I thought what the heck. So far no squeaks, whether its the lube or not, who knows.

mikecyc72usa
09-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Since I work in a bike shop, I went and found some carbon safe teflon grease, which won't attack the poly, either. Worked like a charm. Suspension is finally done on my car. Now about that leaking diff...

DNK
09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
MARK- Where the heck have you been????

tdskip
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Suspension is finally done on my car. Now about that leaking diff...

Good going! Have you done a test drive yet? Notice a differnce?

svtmikey
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Poly bushings will normally sqeak pretty bad after a while, so you do need to use some type of lube on them.
I use a silicon based grease, and that seems to to work really well.
Sometimes it depends on the design of the bushing and where it's located as well.

The rear sway bar on my Contour SVT, for example, needs to be regreased about every 6 months, but the front sway bar has never needed to be regreased.

The graphite grease is a good idea...I think I'll try that in oh say.....about 5 months and 22 days!

mikey

mikecyc72usa
09-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, I'm finishing an 18 month mechanical and semi-cosmetic restoration. Tomorrow I get some paperwork done, then I need to reupholster the seats, put the dash back in, finish the carpet, put the new fuel pump in, wire up the electric fan, get the insurance going, registration, and inspection, then I'll legally have a test drive. Looks like the front seal on my diff is starting to go. Guess I'll order that next...then I'll be in good shape, until it rains since I have no top yet. LOL!!!

billspit
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure if anybody makes "hard rubber" bushings, but I do know that there are some crappy aftermarket rubber ones. The best should say metalastic on them and they are the OEM ones. I found some on ebay a while back.

Norton47
10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Don and everyone else.
I have been working on my 1946 Norton and just driving the TR6.
I had finished the Norton and on the first ride the exhaust valve stuck in the guide. I got some new parts from an experienced Norton single rebuilder in the UK.
I am now waiting on the machine shop to finish installing new guides. I will post photo's when it's all back together.
I started working on the Spit after rearranging and cleaning the garage. (had to get the wife's car back in before winter)
I also have friend suffering from cancer and have been helping him out on a couple motorcycle projects that we are trying to get finished up.
I hope to repaint the Spit from the firewall forward under the hood and rebuilt the front suspension and then install that engine this fall and winter.
Thanks and good to be back.

Mark