PDA

View Full Version : Just found this for sale Triumph Fury Prototype!!

mikecyc72usa
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
For just 45,000 pounds sterling you can own the Triumph Fury prototype from Michelotti. It's the GT6 engine in a Spitfire sized (slightly bigger) 2 seat convertible. Check out the link. Maybe someone on the board can bring it to the States?
https://hurstpark.co.uk/fury.htm

pjsmetana
09-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Now THAT is cool!

TR4nut
09-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Wow, neat pictures. Its a pity they didn't put that car on the market. I'm surprised by how much room there is in the engine bay, the engine looks like its at least 6" forward of the bulkhead. Also a couple of bits I've not seen before on the straight six - looks like a crankcase breather near the fuel pump similar to the TR3 block, also I wonder if the vacuum takeoff on the manifold is for power assist brakes, or maybe those front lights were vacuum operated? And is that an alternator setup?

Randy

kodanja
09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
very kewl site & I love the TR

3798j
09-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Sure is pretty. How about those high mounted shock towers ( on top of the inner fender wells). Could it have MacPherson struts?

jjw
09-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Yup... those are struts up front. The rear was trailing arms.

I also remember reading that this was a unibody design... not a seperate frame and chassis. Would have been a first for a Triumph roadster. There were even proposals to put a V8 in there... which I'm guessing would have been the "Stag" 8 that was in development at the time.

The Fury was a design exercise to get Triumph something more "modern" to battle the on-slaught of sports cars coming out of Italy, (then) competitor MG and even Japan in the mid '60s.

TRDejaVu
09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Am I missing something here? If it is a one-off with all the necessary provenance documentation, then why doesn't it have a higher list price?

swift6
09-07-2009, 08:57 AM
It's been for sale, on and off for years.

09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I guarantee that you could drive that car in this country for 1 hour, and some guy would walk up and say, "My brother had one of those. He didn't like it."

StagByTriumph
09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Yup... those are struts up front. The rear was trailing arms.

I also remember reading that this was a unibody design... not a seperate frame and chassis. Would have been a first for a Triumph roadster. There were even proposals to put a V8 in there... which I'm guessing would have been the "Stag" 8 that was in development at the time.

The Fury was a design exercise to get Triumph something more "modern" to battle the on-slaught of sports cars coming out of Italy, (then) competitor MG and even Japan in the mid '60s.

I seem to recall there was more than one of these made in the article I read, but that this one may be the last survivor. Anyone here have connections to Nigel at TSSC UK to to a little checking in their archives?

StagByTriumph
09-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Here are a few more articles:

https://www.aronline.co.uk/triumphfuryf.htm

some COOL Triumph Brochures
https://www.triumph-brochures.be/cars_br.php?id=18

Roger
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Am I missing something here? If it is a one-off with all the necessary provenance documentation, then why doesn't it have a higher list price?

Probably because it's really nothing more that a "Special". No history, no reputation, no nothing. And for what it has, I think 45,000GBP, or $73,000 approx, is plenty.

mikecyc72usa
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
The big thing is that it's totally usable, unlike most prototypes, and was actually wholly designed (in terms of appearance) by Michelotti himself. There may have only been one fully registered and road legal example, this one. I seem to recall reading and seeing pics of a white one. In terms of history, it was driven quite a bit for research to see if it would be worth producing. Like I said before, Triumph wasn't thrilled by the idea of a smaller engined car being faster than their big TRs. I think Piggot mentions that in one of his books.

Andrew Mace
09-07-2009, 06:24 PM
...Triumph wasn't thrilled by the idea of a smaller engined car being faster than their big TRs. I think Piggot mentions that in one of his books. I have heard a similar sentiment quoted as at least one reason why there was never a six-cylinder Spitfire, aka GT6 convertible!

Meanwhile, it's interesting to note that variations of that "Kamm-back" tail later made it to almost all Triumphs, both sports and saloon cars. And a very similar front end treatment, including the hideaway headlamps, almost made it to the Spitfire/GT6. Supposedly, though, the idea was nixed in part due to impending US Federal regulations.