PDA

View Full Version : DR-2 Wiper Motor Question #2

Tinkerman
09-04-2009, 03:10 PM
In looking at everything that I have, it seems to me that the wiper wheel boxes clamp onto the drive cable housing tubes, there by holding everything in place, correct? Are there any tricks, snags, sinkholes or traps that I should know about and avoid? I will be soldering a new motor wire in place on the coil, any of the above that I should look out for during that (should be simple, heh) operation?

Your help and/or thoughts as usual GREATLY appreciated!

I hope all of you that take the Labor Day Holiday have a great weekend!

Cheers, Tinkerman

martx-5
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
That's correct. The fat flange on the cable housing goes into the bottom receptacle in the wheel housing and then the cover mates up with the top half. Make sure you hook up the link to the gear wheel as you're putting it in place.

Also, make sure you don't have the wipers on when you first go to run the wiper motor. When you shut it off, it will go to the park position and then you can put the wipers on. If you need to tweak the position, then you can loosen the screws holding the round parking switch and turn it one way or the other.

TR3driver
09-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Just my opinion, but I would adjust the park switch first to park at the end of the sweep. Then let the motor park and install the blades to suit.

I would also leave the wheelboxes a little loose on the tube, until after they are bolted to the scuttle.

martx-5
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Just my opinion, but I would adjust the park switch first to park at the end of the sweep.

Now that I think about it, that is what I did to get the end of the sweep at the park position.

dklawson
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I was going to post the same comment that Randall did. It's very helpful to have the wheel box to rack-tube screws finger-tight until everything is in position. If you tighten the rack-tubes in place too early you may find it difficult or impossible to get the motor in the position you want/need it.