PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 steering coulmn install

griff
08-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I just installed piece number two of the split column and slid my steering wheel on and I need clarification.

As it sits now I can see a small amount (perhaps an inch) of the column between the base of the steering wheel hub and the column tubing,

Is that correct or should the hub and outer tube meet.( I don;t see how they can since I have the uper and lower section connected properly with the coupler.)

Advice please.

Griff

TR3driver
08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
That's certainly not the way mine was. There is a bit of a cavity on the back of the hub, and the outer tube extends slightly into that cavity so the shaft is not exposed at all. The tube doesn't actually touch the hub, but the clearance is pretty tight.

However, there is some shaft exposed between the outer tube and the coupler. If you are certain the coupler is fully in place on both shafts (so both locking bolts pass through the notch on the shafts), then I think you need to loosen the clamps and slide the upper tube higher until it almost meets the hub.

BTW, the clamps should go out Monday.

Geo Hahn
08-29-2009, 03:10 PM
...As it sits now I can see a small amount (perhaps an inch) of the column between the base of the steering wheel hub and the column tubing...

Not exactly clear what you are seing, but here is what mine looks like:

https://members.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/Steering%20Column.JPG

Mkutz
08-30-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm with TR3driver; on the coupler, make sure you completely withdraw the bolt before inserting the column. There is a divet on the column which will line up with the bolt when correctly seated. If it is already correctly seated, loosen the brackets under the dash and on the firewall and gradually slide the column tube toward the steering wheel.

griff
08-30-2009, 07:13 AM
I have the coupler installed with bolts dropped through the divits and with everything on the column loose, I am unable to move it toward the hub. It appears the bushing on the coupler end stops the tube from sliding at a ridge/lip in the shaft.

I am going over everything again this morning to double check. If I am unsuccessful, I will take a couple of pics and perhaps a measurement or two(who knows maybe the P/O shortened the upper tube and redrilled the holes for the bushing numbs due to corrosion or something

Thanks guys and thanks Randall for the brkts.

Griff

griff
08-30-2009, 11:14 AM
OK, now I feel a bit stupid. Upon re-examining the column where I mentioned there was a ridge preventing me from sliding the tube further toward the steering wheel hub. Well as it turns out it was the remains of the metal portion of an old bush. apparently when I cleaned the column up it was smooth and neat as to look like part of the column so I thought nothing of it.

Anyways, I cut through it gently with die grinder, put a new bush on and everything is good to go. Slid right up to the wheel.

Thanks
Griff

angelfj1
08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
OK, now I feel a bit stupid.

No reason to feel stupid. We've all done these kinds of things. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. :yesnod:

Good luck!

martx-5
08-30-2009, 12:10 PM
For sure. I've done my share of bone headed things. Just chalk it up to experience and the learning process.

DNK
08-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Don (bone head) Kelly

Middle name